Used 1993 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Decent, but cheap.
By Lb4Bd33

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was my first...for the most part its been a decent car. But the paint is way too soft, the quality of the interior sux, and the exhaust has always got something up its a** because it falls apart everywhere. If its reliability we're talking about, then this car would be ranked pretty damn high in my books. Ive replaced the distributer 2x now and the problem seems to have finally faded. Ever since this issue and a faulty fuel pump, the car has been dependable. But I do agree with about every other probe owner about the outrageous prices to fix anything.

Reliable, good looking, runs forever...and then some.

Better interior build quality, a little more power, harder paint.

Hope you have $$
By lynne2

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

For being 11 years old, the body has stayed in great shape. However, I have replaced just about everything on this car and half of it twice over within 122,00 miles. The engine is aluminum block engine which overheats easily and is extremly expensive to replace. This car has cost me a fortune. But has never left me stranded!

Smooth body design will keep it in style for years. The interior is very durable. Maneuvers quickly.

The engine is very sluggish and shifts gears very hard. The mechanical parts on this car don't last long and are way too expensive.

dead ar 177
By devil6

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I loved this car with all it's power. Had problems at the get go and had the tranny replaced under warranty at 40000. Muffler is expensive and have replaced 3 times in 10 years. Had power brakes disconnected 3 years ago when they malfuntioned on the highway and dealship couldn't figure out the problem. Catalytic is now gone and the powersteering has malfunctioned for the 5th time and it's off to the scrapeheap for this puppy. Got stolen once, attempted once more and broken into 2 more times in 4 years (I do not live in a bad area, either!)

Power. This car floated like my 'vette. Love the comfort and the beautiful interior. Trunkspace is incredible. Nice, fat tires. Hugged corners like a baby!

Could have improved the powersteering, ABS, incredibly expensive muffler system. Cheap stereo and speakers could have been much better for what this car cost.

A fun car to drive
By uncle mozo

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '93 Probe new, and after 145,000 miles, I'm still enjoying it. The 5 speed still has the original clutch and I'm still getting 30 mpg! I added 4 Pirelli's several years ago, since the car had no traction when accelerating in wet weather. What a difference. Also added an Alpine CD player and upgraded all 4 speakers - sounds fantastic. You will not find more bang for the buck. Just forget about using the back seat for anything except small packages.

Exterior styling and the Maxda engine- transmission combo.

Improve the cheesy plastic interior, eliminate the rattles. But since they stopped making Probes, I guess it's not gonna happen.

Probes rule
By proberacer

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car is strait up awsome. the only proble i've noticed is it needs a little more low end torqe. But I've put custom exhaust, intake, and fuel system so my GT is absolutly untouchable on the street I've got 150,000 miles, and the cars got at least 150K togo. I would recommend the Ford Probe GT to anyone (GREAT CAR).

Exterior design, sound, and ergonamics

it has some sort of low quality interior parts, no big deal, needs a little more torqe.