1993 Ford Probe Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Best Car Ford's Made!
By RobertW_47 on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I do not understand when I hear people say bad things about the Probe. I have had my '93 Probe GT for ten years and it has been the most amazing car. I have had no major mechanical issues and have only had to spend money on typical maintenance issues. This car is RELIABLE! I have had lots of fun upgrading intake/exhaust and taking her out on the open road. This is a great car and if you can get your hands on one that has been taken care of, buy it! I have often thought that I will never sell my Probe. It is one of the best cars on the road and its styling is timeless.

Never EVER Again
By Unsatisfied Owner on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Never again will I buy a probe. In just a year of owning this car, I've had to replace both CV joints (one more than once), replace the whole radiator, replace the distribitor, replaced the front brake pads a few times, the rotors once, repair on the head gaskets, and replace the timing belt. Right now, the transmission is almost completely gone and I have a blown water hose. When it rains, it pours with this vehicle. Price for repair is outrageous. Thank goodness they don't make this cars anymore!!

Worst Car ever
By One Rolln on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This was a really fun car to drive when it worked. The expen$$$$ive repair costs and the dual build of the cars (ford,Mazda)may be the problem. Engine repairs and normal fix's are outrageous. Definatly do not recommend!

BEST CAR EVER OWNED (unlike grand prix)
By bosanac on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I own a 93gt and it had a little over 100k on it. It has had its regular oil change and all, but besides that I haven't invested a dime into it. I used to own a 2000 Grand prix gt in silver with horrible paint job. Down here its quite disturbing to have to see your cars paint chip off. I guess quality matters. Probes interior and the 5 speed tranny are a tremendous change and a upgrade from lame 200hp in a 3.8 GM engine. One thing I think Ford/Mazda should have improved was the fact that it doesn't provide you with cheap aftermarket(after warranty) parts. But, sofar I haven't had to use my warranty.

this probes been around
By VAgner44 on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

i just bought this car and it is the most reliable car i have ever owned. It has three hundred and sixty five thousand miles on the base engine with only minor maintenence done to it. It still runs great and i drive it every day. It has never missed a start in the morning even when it is ten below. its a great car and i will probably keep this the rest of my life.

Bad Guilded Car - Expensive Repairs
By Trev on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This car has caused me much grief over the years. I have ended up spending as much money on the car as it is worth. Wheels alone cost $112 each! Every time I had to get the car fixed, which was often, it would cost much more than other cars, many times in the hundreds of dollars. What's worse, Ford didn't respond back to my concerns on their website. I have had a horrible experience with this Ford vehicle and will never buy a Ford vehicle again. I'm trying to sell it now just so I don't have to worry about repairs anymore. With the poor quality and high cost for repairs, I strong advise anyone NOT TO BUY THIS CAR. This car is just not worth the hassle.

DON'T waste your money
By Nik on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for about a year and a half and it has been nothing but problems. It ran well for about five months but after that its just been money...the parts are SO- expensive (not worth it)

ford probe
By Juan emilio on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

good car, economic car and powerfull

my probe gt
By probefrk on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I first drove a gt in 1995,and i tell you what i fell in love with it. The car handles like a dream and acceleration is punchy 5 speed. I have only had 1 problem with my car a 25 dollar part thats it. Basic oil change and matience stuff.The mazda engine made the car what it is.If your looking to make it a street car all you need is a few modifications and your ready to go.

probe review
By fordreview on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car about 6 years ago, and have had very few problems with it to date. The car is almost 10 years old and is now having an idle problem while in neutral on occasion. Besides that, no trouble.