1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
THESE CARS ARE GETTING OLDER.
By REALITYCHECK on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my PGT for about 2 yrs now, I haven't had any major repairs, just tires and a water pump, $63.00 for the pump at NAPA, and about four million dollars worth of labor (reduced to zero by doing it myself) The Probe GT could be considered a sports car, yeah they can be a pain sometimes, but they are getting older now, I expect to make repairs on a car with over 100K on them.

Fun car to drive
By IMLeyes on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I have had it for 9 years. The car has been fun to drive. It hugs corners well. The car got me a lot of attention when there weren't too many of them around so you know it has style. The majority of the repairs came within the warranty period: the first to go was the head gaskets. Then the transmission. After the warranty: it was the radiator. Then the liftback hydraulics. The most recent has been the brake master cylinder. I have chosen to not fix this and now the car is for sale. The tires are not cheap but with some shopping around, you can get each tire for about $110.

Best Car Ford's Made!
By RobertW_47 on 06/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I do not understand when I hear people say bad things about the Probe. I have had my '93 Probe GT for ten years and it has been the most amazing car. I have had no major mechanical issues and have only had to spend money on typical maintenance issues. This car is RELIABLE! I have had lots of fun upgrading intake/exhaust and taking her out on the open road. This is a great car and if you can get your hands on one that has been taken care of, buy it! I have often thought that I will never sell my Probe. It is one of the best cars on the road and its styling is timeless.

Never EVER Again
By Unsatisfied Owner on 06/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Never again will I buy a probe. In just a year of owning this car, I've had to replace both CV joints (one more than once), replace the whole radiator, replace the distribitor, replaced the front brake pads a few times, the rotors once, repair on the head gaskets, and replace the timing belt. Right now, the transmission is almost completely gone and I have a blown water hose. When it rains, it pours with this vehicle. Price for repair is outrageous. Thank goodness they don't make this cars anymore!!

Worst Car ever
By One Rolln on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This was a really fun car to drive when it worked. The expen$$$$ive repair costs and the dual build of the cars (ford,Mazda)may be the problem. Engine repairs and normal fix's are outrageous. Definatly do not recommend!

BEST CAR EVER OWNED (unlike grand prix)
By bosanac on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I own a 93gt and it had a little over 100k on it. It has had its regular oil change and all, but besides that I haven't invested a dime into it. I used to own a 2000 Grand prix gt in silver with horrible paint job. Down here its quite disturbing to have to see your cars paint chip off. I guess quality matters. Probes interior and the 5 speed tranny are a tremendous change and a upgrade from lame 200hp in a 3.8 GM engine. One thing I think Ford/Mazda should have improved was the fact that it doesn't provide you with cheap aftermarket(after warranty) parts. But, sofar I haven't had to use my warranty.

Bad Guilded Car - Expensive Repairs
By Trev on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car has caused me much grief over the years. I have ended up spending as much money on the car as it is worth. Wheels alone cost $112 each! Every time I had to get the car fixed, which was often, it would cost much more than other cars, many times in the hundreds of dollars. What's worse, Ford didn't respond back to my concerns on their website. I have had a horrible experience with this Ford vehicle and will never buy a Ford vehicle again. I'm trying to sell it now just so I don't have to worry about repairs anymore. With the poor quality and high cost for repairs, I strong advise anyone NOT TO BUY THIS CAR. This car is just not worth the hassle.

DON'T waste your money
By Nik on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for about a year and a half and it has been nothing but problems. It ran well for about five months but after that its just been money...the parts are SO- expensive (not worth it)

my probe gt
By probefrk on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I first drove a gt in 1995,and i tell you what i fell in love with it. The car handles like a dream and acceleration is punchy 5 speed. I have only had 1 problem with my car a 25 dollar part thats it. Basic oil change and matience stuff.The mazda engine made the car what it is.If your looking to make it a street car all you need is a few modifications and your ready to go.

really really good car
By mr hobbles on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

very easy to drive, great handling, still runs really well, and the stereo works great.