1993 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews 3

1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Decent, but cheap.
By Lb4Bd33 on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was my first...for the most part its been a decent car. But the paint is way too soft, the quality of the interior sux, and the exhaust has always got something up its a** because it falls apart everywhere. If its reliability we're talking about, then this car would be ranked pretty damn high in my books. Ive replaced the distributer 2x now and the problem seems to have finally faded. Ever since this issue and a faulty fuel pump, the car has been dependable. But I do agree with about every other probe owner about the outrageous prices to fix anything.

Hope you have $$
By lynne2 on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

For being 11 years old, the body has stayed in great shape. However, I have replaced just about everything on this car and half of it twice over within 122,00 miles. The engine is aluminum block engine which overheats easily and is extremly expensive to replace. This car has cost me a fortune. But has never left me stranded!

dead ar 177
By devil6 on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I loved this car with all it's power. Had problems at the get go and had the tranny replaced under warranty at 40000. Muffler is expensive and have replaced 3 times in 10 years. Had power brakes disconnected 3 years ago when they malfuntioned on the highway and dealship couldn't figure out the problem. Catalytic is now gone and the powersteering has malfunctioned for the 5th time and it's off to the scrapeheap for this puppy. Got stolen once, attempted once more and broken into 2 more times in 4 years (I do not live in a bad area, either!)

A fun car to drive
By uncle mozo on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '93 Probe new, and after 145,000 miles, I'm still enjoying it. The 5 speed still has the original clutch and I'm still getting 30 mpg! I added 4 Pirelli's several years ago, since the car had no traction when accelerating in wet weather. What a difference. Also added an Alpine CD player and upgraded all 4 speakers - sounds fantastic. You will not find more bang for the buck. Just forget about using the back seat for anything except small packages.

Probes rule
By proberacer on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car is strait up awsome. the only proble i've noticed is it needs a little more low end torqe. But I've put custom exhaust, intake, and fuel system so my GT is absolutly untouchable on the street I've got 150,000 miles, and the cars got at least 150K togo. I would recommend the Ford Probe GT to anyone (GREAT CAR).

Probe
By rcf on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for 11 years and put in 115500 miles on it and engine is still runs. Accellerates well and handling is above average. I'm still getting 26MPG. Only major problem I had was the brake calipers which was replaced under warantee. Overall, I'm satisfied with this car.

Great Car..
By haplo on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

i have had my 93 GT for about 4 years now. I have 180k miles on it and it still runs great. I didn't have to do much maintenance except scheduled ones, like tires, brakes, timing belt and water pump. Water pump was ok, but i changed it when i was changing the timing belt. All the electrical controls still work. Great design exterior and interior. It just looks cheap material inside. Engine is definitely satisfying. Despite those long 10 years and 180k miles on it. I have driven many new cars most of them performance cars, I have to say Probe has its place as a sporty car with the V6 and the manual.

THESE CARS ARE GETTING OLDER.
By REALITYCHECK on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I've had my PGT for about 2 yrs now, I haven't had any major repairs, just tires and a water pump, $63.00 for the pump at NAPA, and about four million dollars worth of labor (reduced to zero by doing it myself) The Probe GT could be considered a sports car, yeah they can be a pain sometimes, but they are getting older now, I expect to make repairs on a car with over 100K on them.

Good looking car with problems
By FranceProbe on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

This car is really, really nice. The interior design looks 5-6 years younger than what it actually is. I've always been happy driving the car because it looks like new. However, my Probe has had many problems: intake gasket, clutch, driving axle, bushings and schock absorbers, water pump. That's in just 14 months. $$$.

Fun car to drive
By IMLeyes on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I have had it for 9 years. The car has been fun to drive. It hugs corners well. The car got me a lot of attention when there weren't too many of them around so you know it has style. The majority of the repairs came within the warranty period: the first to go was the head gaskets. Then the transmission. After the warranty: it was the radiator. Then the liftback hydraulics. The most recent has been the brake master cylinder. I have chosen to not fix this and now the car is for sale. The tires are not cheap but with some shopping around, you can get each tire for about $110.