Used 1993 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Probe

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Love my Probe
By David

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car, reliable, slick looking. I like to call it my "SUV in disguise" because with the back seats down and the trunk cover removed, I can fit a nine-foot surfboard, 2 six foot surfboards, and a mountain bike all inside! And, it gets great gas mileage (30+ highway) so it's not too much of a crunch at the pump with gas prices hitting $4.00/gallon. It handles the road wonderfully and has a great turning radius.

93 PGT
By 24Valves

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

As with every car you will have things to be fixed, however for a car up in age of 10 years plus, I wouldn’t trade my GT in for anything. Great handling in corners and respectable acceleration coming out. This is my favorite car, I’ve owned 4 so far.

Suggested Improvements

There could be more of an aftermarket

Stay Away from these junkers
By harry

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was great when I bought it. It quickly emptied my wallet keeping it on the road. Timing belts and cooling system problems.

Favorite Features

Quick and handled well when new. After 60K miles, they fall apart.

Suggested Improvements

Many.

13 yrs and still going...
By valentino

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

...to be fair it has less than 50K on the odometer because it was garaged for years. So far it has been a mixed bag: capable handling, practical and fun to drive but reliability issues spoil the experience. First the praise: gotta love the silky smooth V6, the precise steering and confident handling - it feels like it's on rails. After adding Beck Arnley rotors and pads the brakes feel strong and well modulated. The rear seats are only suited for the kiddies, but when folded down make for a HUGE trunk. Negatives: valve head gasket needs replacement as its starting to smell like burnt oil.

Favorite Features

V6, handling, brakes, well bolstered seats with lumbar support, COLD A/C, excellent visibility!

Suggested Improvements

Cheap/flimsy interior plastics, fragile exterior paint, water leaks from hatch, airbag warning light, rattling A/C compressor, rear calipers locked once, hatch lift supports went out, windows don't seal properly resulting in wind noise, road noise, worst stock stereo EVER made, lazy auto tranny.

Nice car
By Davey

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car because of the great price I was offered. It had 50k on it and had sat a lot. I did have to replace some gaskets as could be expected. I have since replaced the exhaust and intake (by choice) and it is an excellent vehicle. The model I own has every amenity available. 1993 Car & Driver car of the year, road tested against the Integra and other models of its class. Although, new my vehicle listed for $30k and the Integra for $20k.

Favorite Features

Nice sound, handling, overall performance, body style, premium wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Lighter vehicle weight, ABS braking a little "squishy". Automatic transmission could be stronger.