Used 1993 Ford Probe GT Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

It was old but good!
By GWilson

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I only had it 6 months before the radiator caved. I decided just to get a new car rather than fix it as it isnt worth how much the fix would cost. It was much faster than I expected and much more comfortable as well. Gas mileage was on par with the rating (19 mpg mixed) but it excelled on the Highway at 28-29 mpg. Nothing weird broke on it so it was reliable and always started. Had to adjust the idle once but not a biggie. Also the drivers door panel fell to pieces after a couple months. And Premium fuel was annoying!

Engine, engine note, sunroof

Bring it back, EcoBoost and AWD!!! But the headlights on this one left much to be desired.

Great Car but Parts are Expensive
By Jim P Ellicott City

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I can't say enough good things about this car. 210k miles on the original clutch! Unfortunately, the clutch ended yesterday so it looks like curtains for her. I am 6'4" and fit fine. It is such a useful design, that I have used to move LazyBoy chairs and other large objects. She is a beauty, too (Red with Gray interior). I really loved this car. The parts are crazy expensive. The Ford dealer wanted $550 dollars for the muffler back in 1998, so I bought a Borla cat back for $350 (1million mile warranty). I've put about 6 half shafts in the car up front, brake master cylinder, but she still has the original radiator and engine running w/ 30 mpg hwy and idling smoothly. Great Car!

Exterior styling, tight handling, feel of clutch (smooth take-up), growl of engine note, great brakes, comfortable interior.

The car is built like a granite fortress that must be dis-assembled like a Chinese puzzle to fix. Mechanics absolutely hate working on this car because of how it is screwed together, which translates into huge repair bills for any repair no matter how small.

15 Years and 193,000 Miles fun!
By Tom

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car new 15 years ago. It's getting way up in miles and age, but I will miss it, when the new car comes along. This car has and still is giving me a fun drive. It may not be the quickest car out there, but even with the Auto Tran it is fun to drive. I have even went to all season non- performance tires now that it is simply a day driver. The new rubber makes is very good in the snow. I will be sorry to see it go someday. I am hoping to pass the 200,000 mile mark. Nice work Ford/Mazda!

High reving engine, cornering ability, fun factor, etc. Great passing power when up to speed on the expressway.

Was never happy with the way the cruise control worked, seemed to have lag. Not really that quick right off the line.

Love my Probe
By David

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car, reliable, slick looking. I like to call it my "SUV in disguise" because with the back seats down and the trunk cover removed, I can fit a nine-foot surfboard, 2 six foot surfboards, and a mountain bike all inside! And, it gets great gas mileage (30+ highway) so it's not too much of a crunch at the pump with gas prices hitting $4.00/gallon. It handles the road wonderfully and has a great turning radius.

93 PGT
By 24Valves

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

As with every car you will have things to be fixed, however for a car up in age of 10 years plus, I wouldn’t trade my GT in for anything. Great handling in corners and respectable acceleration coming out. This is my favorite car, I’ve owned 4 so far.

There could be more of an aftermarket