1993 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
It was old but good!
By GWilson on 04/24/10 15:22 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I only had it 6 months before the radiator caved. I decided just to get a new car rather than fix it as it isnt worth how much the fix would cost. It was much faster than I expected and much more comfortable as well. Gas mileage was on par with the rating (19 mpg mixed) but it excelled on the Highway at 28-29 mpg. Nothing weird broke on it so it was reliable and always started. Had to adjust the idle once but not a biggie. Also the drivers door panel fell to pieces after a couple months. And Premium fuel was annoying!

Love my probe
By Probestah on 06/15/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have a 93 SE and I love it. It didnt wanna go uphill on take off but if you get a new upgraded exaust or some type of small Horse Power adjustment it doesnt take away from the fuel economy and also gives you that little boost. Sound system stinks in this model. Change to a cd player and change to pioneer deck speakers. Also mine came with a stock subwoofer in the back built into the right panel. If you take that out and take the wires from the back of it then buy a subwoofer it will BUMP!!! I have 3 JL audio tens in there now and it rattles my trunk! I have tried many things and it seems to be just fine pushing at 2 and 4ohms. if its shutting off while bumpin try to hook it up other ways.

small but good car
By lp09 on 04/17/09 06:58 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

fun car......sold it after egr valve went to hell, and plug wires were shot. axle went bad...but that was prolly my fault....i couldnt complain i bought it for $450 in perfect condition no lie.... i got a deal....ran great for about 2 months, then one day it just wouldnt go....cleaned out egr valve and changed plugg wires and sold it.

Great Car but Parts are Expensive
By Jim P Ellicott City on 10/30/08 05:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I can't say enough good things about this car. 210k miles on the original clutch! Unfortunately, the clutch ended yesterday so it looks like curtains for her. I am 6'4" and fit fine. It is such a useful design, that I have used to move LazyBoy chairs and other large objects. She is a beauty, too (Red with Gray interior). I really loved this car. The parts are crazy expensive. The Ford dealer wanted $550 dollars for the muffler back in 1998, so I bought a Borla cat back for $350 (1million mile warranty). I've put about 6 half shafts in the car up front, brake master cylinder, but she still has the original radiator and engine running w/ 30 mpg hwy and idling smoothly. Great Car!

15 Years and 193,000 Miles fun!
By Tom on 07/06/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car new 15 years ago. It's getting way up in miles and age, but I will miss it, when the new car comes along. This car has and still is giving me a fun drive. It may not be the quickest car out there, but even with the Auto Tran it is fun to drive. I have even went to all season non- performance tires now that it is simply a day driver. The new rubber makes is very good in the snow. I will be sorry to see it go someday. I am hoping to pass the 200,000 mile mark. Nice work Ford/Mazda!

Love my Probe
By David on 05/26/08 10:38 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car, reliable, slick looking. I like to call it my "SUV in disguise" because with the back seats down and the trunk cover removed, I can fit a nine-foot surfboard, 2 six foot surfboards, and a mountain bike all inside! And, it gets great gas mileage (30+ highway) so it's not too much of a crunch at the pump with gas prices hitting $4.00/gallon. It handles the road wonderfully and has a great turning radius.

93 PGT
By 24Valves on 02/03/08 11:21 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

As with every car you will have things to be fixed, however for a car up in age of 10 years plus, I wouldn’t trade my GT in for anything. Great handling in corners and respectable acceleration coming out. This is my favorite car, I’ve owned 4 so far.

Stay Away from these junkers
By harry on 10/25/07 23:42 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was great when I bought it. It quickly emptied my wallet keeping it on the road. Timing belts and cooling system problems.

13 yrs and still going...
By valentino on 07/09/06 19:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

...to be fair it has less than 50K on the odometer because it was garaged for years. So far it has been a mixed bag: capable handling, practical and fun to drive but reliability issues spoil the experience. First the praise: gotta love the silky smooth V6, the precise steering and confident handling - it feels like it's on rails. After adding Beck Arnley rotors and pads the brakes feel strong and well modulated. The rear seats are only suited for the kiddies, but when folded down make for a HUGE trunk. Negatives: valve head gasket needs replacement as its starting to smell like burnt oil.

Nice car
By Davey on 05/11/06 06:11 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car because of the great price I was offered. It had 50k on it and had sat a lot. I did have to replace some gaskets as could be expected. I have since replaced the exhaust and intake (by choice) and it is an excellent vehicle. The model I own has every amenity available. 1993 Car & Driver car of the year, road tested against the Integra and other models of its class. Although, new my vehicle listed for $30k and the Integra for $20k.