Used 1993 Ford Probe Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

It was old but good!
By GWilson

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I only had it 6 months before the radiator caved. I decided just to get a new car rather than fix it as it isnt worth how much the fix would cost. It was much faster than I expected and much more comfortable as well. Gas mileage was on par with the rating (19 mpg mixed) but it excelled on the Highway at 28-29 mpg. Nothing weird broke on it so it was reliable and always started. Had to adjust the idle once but not a biggie. Also the drivers door panel fell to pieces after a couple months. And Premium fuel was annoying!

Favorite Features

Engine, engine note, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back, EcoBoost and AWD!!! But the headlights on this one left much to be desired.

Love my probe
By Probestah

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have a 93 SE and I love it. It didnt wanna go uphill on take off but if you get a new upgraded exaust or some type of small Horse Power adjustment it doesnt take away from the fuel economy and also gives you that little boost. Sound system stinks in this model. Change to a cd player and change to pioneer deck speakers. Also mine came with a stock subwoofer in the back built into the right panel. If you take that out and take the wires from the back of it then buy a subwoofer it will BUMP!!! I have 3 JL audio tens in there now and it rattles my trunk! I have tried many things and it seems to be just fine pushing at 2 and 4ohms. if its shutting off while bumpin try to hook it up other ways.

Favorite Features

Built in stock 25watt rms w/crossover... when you add a cd player all new speakers and a subwoofer to this car it sounds AWESOME!

Suggested Improvements

I've had to replace my exaust, radiator, transmition(jerked between 1-2 gear manufacture defect, eventualy went out), blah blah blah.. this car is worth fixing. rotational tires will help with the performance and less chirping from the tires.

small but good car
By lp09

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

fun car......sold it after egr valve went to hell, and plug wires were shot. axle went bad...but that was prolly my fault....i couldnt complain i bought it for $450 in perfect condition no lie.... i got a deal....ran great for about 2 months, then one day it just wouldnt go....cleaned out egr valve and changed plugg wires and sold it.

Favorite Features

handling, interior,

Suggested Improvements

electric windows go out easy, radio wires do not match up to any wire diagram found.

Great Car but Parts are Expensive
By Jim P Ellicott City

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I can't say enough good things about this car. 210k miles on the original clutch! Unfortunately, the clutch ended yesterday so it looks like curtains for her. I am 6'4" and fit fine. It is such a useful design, that I have used to move LazyBoy chairs and other large objects. She is a beauty, too (Red with Gray interior). I really loved this car. The parts are crazy expensive. The Ford dealer wanted $550 dollars for the muffler back in 1998, so I bought a Borla cat back for $350 (1million mile warranty). I've put about 6 half shafts in the car up front, brake master cylinder, but she still has the original radiator and engine running w/ 30 mpg hwy and idling smoothly. Great Car!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, tight handling, feel of clutch (smooth take-up), growl of engine note, great brakes, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

The car is built like a granite fortress that must be dis-assembled like a Chinese puzzle to fix. Mechanics absolutely hate working on this car because of how it is screwed together, which translates into huge repair bills for any repair no matter how small.

15 Years and 193,000 Miles fun!
By Tom

1993 Ford Probe Hatchback GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car new 15 years ago. It's getting way up in miles and age, but I will miss it, when the new car comes along. This car has and still is giving me a fun drive. It may not be the quickest car out there, but even with the Auto Tran it is fun to drive. I have even went to all season non- performance tires now that it is simply a day driver. The new rubber makes is very good in the snow. I will be sorry to see it go someday. I am hoping to pass the 200,000 mile mark. Nice work Ford/Mazda!

Favorite Features

High reving engine, cornering ability, fun factor, etc. Great passing power when up to speed on the expressway.

Suggested Improvements

Was never happy with the way the cruise control worked, seemed to have lag. Not really that quick right off the line.