1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
It was old but good!
By GWilson on 04/24/10 15:22 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I only had it 6 months before the radiator caved. I decided just to get a new car rather than fix it as it isnt worth how much the fix would cost. It was much faster than I expected and much more comfortable as well. Gas mileage was on par with the rating (19 mpg mixed) but it excelled on the Highway at 28-29 mpg. Nothing weird broke on it so it was reliable and always started. Had to adjust the idle once but not a biggie. Also the drivers door panel fell to pieces after a couple months. And Premium fuel was annoying!

Great Car but Parts are Expensive
By Jim P Ellicott City on 10/30/08 05:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I can't say enough good things about this car. 210k miles on the original clutch! Unfortunately, the clutch ended yesterday so it looks like curtains for her. I am 6'4" and fit fine. It is such a useful design, that I have used to move LazyBoy chairs and other large objects. She is a beauty, too (Red with Gray interior). I really loved this car. The parts are crazy expensive. The Ford dealer wanted $550 dollars for the muffler back in 1998, so I bought a Borla cat back for $350 (1million mile warranty). I've put about 6 half shafts in the car up front, brake master cylinder, but she still has the original radiator and engine running w/ 30 mpg hwy and idling smoothly. Great Car!

15 Years and 193,000 Miles fun!
By Tom on 07/06/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car new 15 years ago. It's getting way up in miles and age, but I will miss it, when the new car comes along. This car has and still is giving me a fun drive. It may not be the quickest car out there, but even with the Auto Tran it is fun to drive. I have even went to all season non- performance tires now that it is simply a day driver. The new rubber makes is very good in the snow. I will be sorry to see it go someday. I am hoping to pass the 200,000 mile mark. Nice work Ford/Mazda!

Love my Probe
By David on 05/26/08 10:38 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Great car, reliable, slick looking. I like to call it my "SUV in disguise" because with the back seats down and the trunk cover removed, I can fit a nine-foot surfboard, 2 six foot surfboards, and a mountain bike all inside! And, it gets great gas mileage (30+ highway) so it's not too much of a crunch at the pump with gas prices hitting $4.00/gallon. It handles the road wonderfully and has a great turning radius.

93 PGT
By 24Valves on 02/03/08 11:21 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

As with every car you will have things to be fixed, however for a car up in age of 10 years plus, I wouldn’t trade my GT in for anything. Great handling in corners and respectable acceleration coming out. This is my favorite car, I’ve owned 4 so far.

Stay Away from these junkers
By harry on 10/25/07 23:42 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

This car was great when I bought it. It quickly emptied my wallet keeping it on the road. Timing belts and cooling system problems.

Nice car
By Davey on 05/11/06 06:11 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car because of the great price I was offered. It had 50k on it and had sat a lot. I did have to replace some gaskets as could be expected. I have since replaced the exhaust and intake (by choice) and it is an excellent vehicle. The model I own has every amenity available. 1993 Car & Driver car of the year, road tested against the Integra and other models of its class. Although, new my vehicle listed for $30k and the Integra for $20k.

Nice car for its time; good first car
By Bonka on 04/11/06 15:17 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Bought as a winter car with ~132,500 miles. Black on black, loaded and auto. Cousin of the Mazda MX-6, prefer styling on Probe, notably the GT version. Wide 16x7 5-spoke wheels and body accents (spoiler, side skirts, door caps, front bumper) make this a nice looking car. Reasonable power from V6 but weak in the low end. Nice interior layout. Great handling characteristics (weakened by the cheap tires). Stiff suspension. Steering response a little light. Common problems oil leaks which I have (vc gaskets, oil pressure sensor). Automatic is terrible. Hunts for shifts. Requires cooler for longevity. Back seat for looks only. Deep trunk but high lift gate.

Owned for 11 years
By Verbal on 02/24/06 22:00 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I bought the car with 12,000 miles on the odometer, and have been driving it for the last 11 years. The handling is tremendous; every freeway on ramp is a blast. The V6 winds out nicely, and the car still looks contemporary today. The seats are very comfortable. At 147,000 miles, it still has the original clutch, and the engine feels tight. Problem areas: the distributor quit at 50k miles; the rear brake calipers have been replaced a couple of times due to locking; the paint is fading despite regular wax jobs; the hatch has rattled since day 1; the valve cover gaskets leak; and the wind whistles around the passenger door seal.

Excellent Value
By NJRoadster on 04/18/05 22:38 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

Great Car! Very reliable, never had any major issues with the car. The thing handles like it is on rails. It is very fun to drive and turns a lot of heads with its good looks and the Flowmasters purring. Exceptional handling in the rain with z rated Aquatread tires. Ample storage for going out and about. The car is capable of getting great gas mileage when needed. I would say this is the best car I have ever owned; the car is very reliable, looks good, is very fun to drive, has a lot of pep and is easy to maintain.