1993 Ford Probe 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
Love my probe
By Probestah on 06/15/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I have a 93 SE and I love it. It didnt wanna go uphill on take off but if you get a new upgraded exaust or some type of small Horse Power adjustment it doesnt take away from the fuel economy and also gives you that little boost. Sound system stinks in this model. Change to a cd player and change to pioneer deck speakers. Also mine came with a stock subwoofer in the back built into the right panel. If you take that out and take the wires from the back of it then buy a subwoofer it will BUMP!!! I have 3 JL audio tens in there now and it rattles my trunk! I have tried many things and it seems to be just fine pushing at 2 and 4ohms. if its shutting off while bumpin try to hook it up other ways.

small but good car
By lp09 on 04/17/09 06:58 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

fun car......sold it after egr valve went to hell, and plug wires were shot. axle went bad...but that was prolly my fault....i couldnt complain i bought it for $450 in perfect condition no lie.... i got a deal....ran great for about 2 months, then one day it just wouldnt go....cleaned out egr valve and changed plugg wires and sold it.

13 yrs and still going...
By valentino on 07/09/06 19:31 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

...to be fair it has less than 50K on the odometer because it was garaged for years. So far it has been a mixed bag: capable handling, practical and fun to drive but reliability issues spoil the experience. First the praise: gotta love the silky smooth V6, the precise steering and confident handling - it feels like it's on rails. After adding Beck Arnley rotors and pads the brakes feel strong and well modulated. The rear seats are only suited for the kiddies, but when folded down make for a HUGE trunk. Negatives: valve head gasket needs replacement as its starting to smell like burnt oil.

Probe SE
By SilverBullit on 08/22/05 16:15 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Very fun to drive. 30-40 more HP would be nice without having to upgrade to the V6. Very reliable, just recently spun a rod bearing @ 140,000+ miles. Otherwise no major problems. Hard to find GOOD brakes, certain brands are better. Would recommend to anyone who wants a two seater that is good on gas.

1993 4 banger
By Jmiller on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I brought my PROBE used with 60/k in 1997. Red of course, when cleaned it always looked brand new. I now have almost 170/k miles on it. Very reliable, problem areas idle control,faded paint,expensive parts and high insurance. Still has the original clutch!!! Great gas mileage and fun to drive, could use more power. Hatch is very useful. From day one I used only synthetic or semi syn. oil. The engine still sounds brand new,plenty of life left. K&N air filter and spit fire plugs....will change to BOSCH platinum 4 plugs. I used either 93 or 89 octane....she runs strong on 93.

Wonderful car!
By Probe_luv on 06/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

Love this car! Even though the idle control has been bad for a year, I drive it everywhere and love it. 169000 miles and still going. And easy to fix, if you can find the parts. It does what I need it to do and I can fit my golf clubs in the trunk.

A fun car to drive
By uncle mozo on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I bought my '93 Probe new, and after 145,000 miles, I'm still enjoying it. The 5 speed still has the original clutch and I'm still getting 30 mpg! I added 4 Pirelli's several years ago, since the car had no traction when accelerating in wet weather. What a difference. Also added an Alpine CD player and upgraded all 4 speakers - sounds fantastic. You will not find more bang for the buck. Just forget about using the back seat for anything except small packages.

Good looking car with problems
By FranceProbe on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

This car is really, really nice. The interior design looks 5-6 years younger than what it actually is. I've always been happy driving the car because it looks like new. However, my Probe has had many problems: intake gasket, clutch, driving axle, bushings and schock absorbers, water pump. That's in just 14 months. $$$.

this probes been around
By VAgner44 on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

i just bought this car and it is the most reliable car i have ever owned. It has three hundred and sixty five thousand miles on the base engine with only minor maintenence done to it. It still runs great and i drive it every day. It has never missed a start in the morning even when it is ten below. its a great car and i will probably keep this the rest of my life.

ford probe
By Juan emilio on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

good car, economic car and powerfull