1992 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
it's alright
By thejp on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

my grandma owned this car before me and she gave it to me for my 16th birthday. i've had it for over 2 years now and it has been a pretty good car i guess. i did have to replace the muffler and i've had to replace the brake pads twice. i also wish it was a v6 because it takes a lot to speed it up quickly like on the highway, and it jumps when it changes speeds. also, my right front blinker has gone out randomly various times and that is very annoying because i know it isnt the bulb, its something in the wiring. the sound system is also of pretty bad quality. other than that, i havent had many problems with it and it's pretty reliable. it's a nice little sporty car to have

This car has been a gem
By Reignman35 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my 92 Probe with 92,000 miles on it from my grandfather in the spring of 2002, and so far the car has been a dream. I currently have 138,000 on it, and it still starts right up (the fact that it has a Mazda powerplant probably makes a difference) no matter the weather or conditions. The clear coat is peeling from sitting in the sun for so long, but who cares when the engine is all that makes a difference. Aside from a little exhaust work that needed done after I first bought it and I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder last fall, I have no complaints about the car.

Looks nice but doesnt work nice
By TDH on 06/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

After only owning my 92 Probe for one year, I've had to fix or replace front brakes, tie rods, struts, strut plates, air conditioning fan, $2 headlight relay (after $100 of diagnostics), e- brake cable, CV axles, not to mention a transmission flush. Ford no longer makes any Probe parts, the Probe was shelved around 96, so all parts either have to be special ordered or from a junkyard. This was a problem because when my trailer arm was snapped (friends fault), I had to find my own replacement, and the best one I could find threw me out of alignment. AVOID THIS CAR! UNRELIABLE! I also suggest avoiding older models, as they are plagued with the same problems.

Nice Looking Car- But Piece Of Crap
By PLAYBOY on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

Well, I got my car in good condition, transmission died 5 months later. Parts for these cars are MIA- you can't find them anywhere but junkyards pretty much, so it took 3 months to be fixed. Constant problems.

Nice Probe
By Probe on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car before i even drove it just the way it looks tell me everything about the car

Probe = Problem
By Wei on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

owned it for two years and spent $2500 on it without fixing burning oil problem.

1992 Ford Probe LX 3.0L V6 "POWER"
By JBLV6 on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

i've have my car for 4.5 years now it hasn't had any problems and it's 10 years old... thats true performance. I have an APC dual 4" muffler on it and boy does it sound nice with that thoaty V6. The 3.0L is way more power than the car needs which makes it very fun to drive. You can smoke anyone who tries. If you want a fast reliable car i recommend a 1992 Ford Probe LX 3.0L V6... theres a reason this engine was only in the car for 3 years!

what is my car worth on the market now?
By naomi on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

I have driven this car from coast to coast in hard rain, snow and all kinds of weather and altitude. It performs well and serves as a sleeper under the hatchback with the back seats down in a pinch. The all-around windows make my air conditioning a necessity in hot weather driving and the heater just as important in high altitudes and cold weather. A wonder to drive - as I get older I look toward fewer trips across the US.