Used 1992 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Probe

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Most Helpful|
it's alright
By thejp

1992 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

my grandma owned this car before me and she gave it to me for my 16th birthday. i've had it for over 2 years now and it has been a pretty good car i guess. i did have to replace the muffler and i've had to replace the brake pads twice. i also wish it was a v6 because it takes a lot to speed it up quickly like on the highway, and it jumps when it changes speeds. also, my right front blinker has gone out randomly various times and that is very annoying because i know it isnt the bulb, its something in the wiring. the sound system is also of pretty bad quality. other than that, i havent had many problems with it and it's pretty reliable. it's a nice little sporty car to have

Favorite Features

flip-up lights, outer style, i love the turquoise- green color, gets pretty good mileage, big trunk

Suggested Improvements

i wish it had better brakes, sound system, and better paint quality

Looks nice but doesnt work nice
By TDH

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

After only owning my 92 Probe for one year, I've had to fix or replace front brakes, tie rods, struts, strut plates, air conditioning fan, $2 headlight relay (after $100 of diagnostics), e- brake cable, CV axles, not to mention a transmission flush. Ford no longer makes any Probe parts, the Probe was shelved around 96, so all parts either have to be special ordered or from a junkyard. This was a problem because when my trailer arm was snapped (friends fault), I had to find my own replacement, and the best one I could find threw me out of alignment. AVOID THIS CAR! UNRELIABLE! I also suggest avoiding older models, as they are plagued with the same problems.

Favorite Features

Gas milage, exterior, acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Buy something else.

Probe = Problem
By Wei

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

owned it for two years and spent $2500 on it without fixing burning oil problem.

Favorite Features

Sporty dash board

Suggested Improvements

Quality

This car has been a gem
By Reignman35

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my 92 Probe with 92,000 miles on it from my grandfather in the spring of 2002, and so far the car has been a dream. I currently have 138,000 on it, and it still starts right up (the fact that it has a Mazda powerplant probably makes a difference) no matter the weather or conditions. The clear coat is peeling from sitting in the sun for so long, but who cares when the engine is all that makes a difference. Aside from a little exhaust work that needed done after I first bought it and I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder last fall, I have no complaints about the car.

Favorite Features

Well-made Mazda engine

Suggested Improvements

Make the speakers easier to get to, put in a center console

Nice Looking Car- But Piece Of Crap
By PLAYBOY

1992 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

Well, I got my car in good condition, transmission died 5 months later. Parts for these cars are MIA- you can't find them anywhere but junkyards pretty much, so it took 3 months to be fixed. Constant problems.

Favorite Features

Its a great looking car, you can fix it up to be really nice. Very sporty

Suggested Improvements

Don't get one unless you're good with cars and know how to fix them yourself. They aren't reliable and are a waste of money if you can't constantly fix them up