Used 1991 Ford Probe GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

1991 Ford Probe GL Review
By Chuck

1991 Ford Probe Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Cute, fun and great handling. Good fuel economy. Sporty and very responsive. Overall a good car. I would buy another one.

Handles corners great. Fun to drive. Overall easy maintenence and repair.

I hate the power seat belts. Parts are typically expensive. Has minor annoying electrical quirks. Wheel bearings are a pain to change. No cup holders. A little noisy at highway speeds.

The mighty Probe
By baldylocks1976

1991 Ford Probe Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car with 36,000 miles and owned it for 6 years. When I traded it in, it had 188,000 miles and was still kickin'. Had to replace the clutch, the ignition module, broken cable on driver's seatbelt, and repair a rusted out exhaust but other than that, the car never gave me any problems.

Flip-up headlights with the option of keeping them up with lights turned off. (Great during ice and snow storms) Also has a huge trunk.

Cup holder. Did not like automatic seatbelts.

Great car
By jones

1991 Ford Probe Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

When I bought this car, it had 111,000 mi. on it. Eight years later it's still going with over 205,000 mi. and no major repairs other than a timing belt and water pump. I would buy it again in a second.

It's sporty and fun to drive yet still easy on gas.

Lose the auto-matic seat belts and headlights

Not worth it!
By mike

1991 Ford Probe Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

2.2l auto-trans. I bought the car in 1994 w/ 47k miles. I preformed full tune-ups on the car every 12k miles and changed the oil every 3k miles, timing belt and everything else. Despite this, The Probe was a nightmare. I had to replace both front axles twice, the transmission went out at 75k, the a/c went-out at 85k. Every mechanic said it was an $800 or more fix. When the car hit 110k the engine became tired and the mileage went down to 22mpg on the highway. Finally, the clearcoat started to fade and chip. I traded it in for a Dodge in 2001.

It looked pretty sharp and preformed well for an I-4cyl. It turned heads when I first bought it.

A different tranny. I've talked to other people who have owned The Ford Probe GL and they all had problems with the tranny.

Ford Probe review
By Sean Phillips

1991 Ford Probe Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

This car is one of the BEST cars that I've ever driven; between the great acceleration, beautiful handling and rock solid body inside and out, I'm ashamed to say that I have to sell it.

My two favorite features on this car are the doors, due to the fact that they open plenty wide enough for you to get in and out of; and the fold down seats that in turn give you about four more square feet of room in the hatch (trunk).

Ford could have made the back seat just a little tiny bit bigger.