1991 Ford Probe GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1991 Probe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Sort Reviews by

Gene
By Gene

1991 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner. I have a V6 Automatic that just turned 205,000 miles. Transmission & engine never taken a part. Not even a valve cover gasket!! This car has never stranded me, still starts better than my 2005 Honda Accord! Fun to drive with great visability.

1991 Ford Probe GL Review
By Chuck

1991 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

Cute, fun and great handling. Good fuel economy. Sporty and very responsive. Overall a good car. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Handles corners great. Fun to drive. Overall easy maintenence and repair.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the power seat belts. Parts are typically expensive. Has minor annoying electrical quirks. Wheel bearings are a pain to change. No cup holders. A little noisy at highway speeds.

The mighty Probe
By baldylocks1976

1991 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car with 36,000 miles and owned it for 6 years. When I traded it in, it had 188,000 miles and was still kickin'. Had to replace the clutch, the ignition module, broken cable on driver's seatbelt, and repair a rusted out exhaust but other than that, the car never gave me any problems.

Favorite Features

Flip-up headlights with the option of keeping them up with lights turned off. (Great during ice and snow storms) Also has a huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder. Did not like automatic seatbelts.

Great car
By jones

1991 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

When I bought this car, it had 111,000 mi. on it. Eight years later it's still going with over 205,000 mi. and no major repairs other than a timing belt and water pump. I would buy it again in a second.

Favorite Features

It's sporty and fun to drive yet still easy on gas.

Suggested Improvements

Lose the auto-matic seat belts and headlights

Not worth it!
By mike

1991 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

2.2l auto-trans. I bought the car in 1994 w/ 47k miles. I preformed full tune-ups on the car every 12k miles and changed the oil every 3k miles, timing belt and everything else. Despite this, The Probe was a nightmare. I had to replace both front axles twice, the transmission went out at 75k, the a/c went-out at 85k. Every mechanic said it was an $800 or more fix. When the car hit 110k the engine became tired and the mileage went down to 22mpg on the highway. Finally, the clearcoat started to fade and chip. I traded it in for a Dodge in 2001.

Favorite Features

It looked pretty sharp and preformed well for an I-4cyl. It turned heads when I first bought it.

Suggested Improvements

A different tranny. I've talked to other people who have owned The Ford Probe GL and they all had problems with the tranny.

My best car ever
By Red Rider

1991 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

My 91 Probe is now 16 years old, V-6 has close to 300,000 miles. Still has original motor and tranny (auto) does not smoke and still has great get up and go. I also purchased a 97 Probe GT a few years ago, because I love this car so much. It is so much fun to drive, great styling, very dependable. Still my daily driver (150 miles each day). This car is fantastic, it handles like a sports car. Still a head turner. Next week I will travel to Minnesota to pick up my new 1991 Probe LX V-6. One owner, 26,000 mi, original tires, it looks like it just came of the showroom floor. Can't wait to bring her home to Colorado. Merry Christmas 2006 to me Trust me this is one great car to own and drive.

Favorite Features

What do I like; hmmmm let me count the ways. V-6 power, 30 MPG (still today I get 29/28) a true beauty of a body style. Sports car handling, very comfortable front seats, awesome heater tons or cargo room in back. Oh yeah, this front wheel drive cat is a sure footed beast in the snow. Nuff Said :)

Suggested Improvements

No car is perfect; the Probe needed cup holders which I installed. Parts are very expensive to replace. The rear seats are made for children or very small adults.

Ford Probe review
By Sean Phillips

1991 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

This car is one of the BEST cars that I've ever driven; between the great acceleration, beautiful handling and rock solid body inside and out, I'm ashamed to say that I have to sell it.

Favorite Features

My two favorite features on this car are the doors, due to the fact that they open plenty wide enough for you to get in and out of; and the fold down seats that in turn give you about four more square feet of room in the hatch (trunk).

Suggested Improvements

Ford could have made the back seat just a little tiny bit bigger.

awesome car
By firefighter05

1991 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

this is the third probe ive had and i loved them all, but this 3.0 has the be the best. it has just enough power and rides like a dream. i am a total ford probe fan and would definatly buy another.

Favorite Features

styling, performance, handling, its all good

Suggested Improvements

cup holder most defenatly, and they could have done something about the horrible torque steer....

Read On
By RGX

1991 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

Great car with the ford name but mostly made by mazda. For a car as old as it was it ran well and and smooth. Good stuff.

Favorite Features

The turn signal.

Suggested Improvements

More backseat room.

Probe review
By butaflychica

1991 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

This car has been nothing but reliable. Very well running and great to drive. My car has 115,000 miles on it and runs like its brand new. I couldnt be happier with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Body style and all around performance

Suggested Improvements

Needs a cup holder