1990 Ford Probe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:
1990 Ford Probe LX
By Ron on 09/08/10 09:26 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I put 264,000 miles on car, It still ran great and got 25 mpg before the salt took its toll on the body. I spent less than a $800 in 19 years on mechanical repairs. under the hood the only problem was the radiator, it cracked at 70,000 miles. If you have a hard time with finding some parts, cross ref. it with mazda mx6. It was very reliable and easy to repair (the few time it was needed. (you must keep front tires balanced, saves on front wheel bearings)

The Probe LX "king of the cars, the gem"
By KING AZ on 04/13/08 23:18 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Well, I have a Probe L. I'm telling you this car it's my little gem. But overall, this car its super. I'm telling you. I love this car. It's fun to drive. I'm going to keep it 'til I die. Anyways you don't see LX anymore on the streets. And I like the way that I'm unique.

Awesome car
By Gene on 02/24/08 15:37 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner and absolutely I love this car. I have the Ford V6 engine & trans with 191,000 on it & the car is still going strong. I have never had any trouble with the engine & trans and this car has never stranded me. It's fun to drive and handles well.The car has it's original black paint and still shines like a new car. Well done Ford. I hope to keep it forever.

Best Ford Small Passenger Ever Built
By spjm on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

242,000 mi. and this 3.0L 6 cyl. engine still has some punch left. I just bought a used '97 Probe GTS to replace my '90 because this truely is the best car Ford ever built. Why would any car company discontiue such a gem? I guess people would rather pay more money for Hondas or Toyotas (4 cyl... Puhlease!) that don't even come close to the speed or handling of the 2nd gen Probe V6.

Great used car
By Kindreth on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

After reading others' experiences I went ahead and bought my 90 with 147K on it, and have added another 9K. Replaced plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, front brakes (cheap!). Timing belt blew, but I should have changed it; no valve damage. Amazingly reliable and inexpensive; previous owner and I both use Mobil 1 oil. Best car buy I'ceever made.

Love my Ford Probe!
By TanyaS on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car in 1992 from a dealership, figuring I'd drive it a year or two and then update.... but I loved it from Day One... now I'm at 160,000 and still going strong!! I love this car, and hope it makes it another 40,000! I've only ever done routine fixes.... new starter, new brakes, etc.

My first car
By HeavyPedel on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

In being my first car I don't have much to compare it too since I still have it, but he sure is a fast little guy. I love flying around in downtown Lansing, taking corners fast enough to glue my friends to the windows.

Best car I ever owned!
By IrishBobcat on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

My 1990 Probe finally died after 221,000 miles plus!!!! She was the best car I ever owned.... I wish Ford would have kept her and junked the Focus