Used 1990 Ford Probe LX Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

1990 Ford Probe LX
By Ron

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I put 264,000 miles on car, It still ran great and got 25 mpg before the salt took its toll on the body. I spent less than a $800 in 19 years on mechanical repairs. under the hood the only problem was the radiator, it cracked at 70,000 miles. If you have a hard time with finding some parts, cross ref. it with mazda mx6. It was very reliable and easy to repair (the few time it was needed. (you must keep front tires balanced, saves on front wheel bearings)

Favorite Features

style still not dated, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

a little more pizazz to body.

The Probe LX "king of the cars, the gem"
By KING AZ

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

Well, I have a Probe L. I'm telling you this car it's my little gem. But overall, this car its super. I'm telling you. I love this car. It's fun to drive. I'm going to keep it 'til I die. Anyways you don't see LX anymore on the streets. And I like the way that I'm unique.

Favorite Features

The exterior, interior, the speed, the adrenaline you get when you drive it. Ever since i got it, I love to drive it.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing it need to improve its the speedometer. It only shows to 85 that's it.

Awesome car
By Gene

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner and absolutely I love this car. I have the Ford V6 engine & trans with 191,000 on it & the car is still going strong. I have never had any trouble with the engine & trans and this car has never stranded me. It's fun to drive and handles well.The car has it's original black paint and still shines like a new car. Well done Ford. I hope to keep it forever.

Favorite Features

Sharp looks and fun to drive qualities.

Best Ford Small Passenger Ever Built
By spjm

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

242,000 mi. and this 3.0L 6 cyl. engine still has some punch left. I just bought a used '97 Probe GTS to replace my '90 because this truely is the best car Ford ever built. Why would any car company discontiue such a gem? I guess people would rather pay more money for Hondas or Toyotas (4 cyl... Puhlease!) that don't even come close to the speed or handling of the 2nd gen Probe V6.

Favorite Features

Digital Dash/Trip Computer (great toy for a man/child). Heater will keep you warm in coldest of nights with the windows wide open. Steering/suspension handles mountain driving like a champ.

Suggested Improvements

Everything but the engine and transmission could have been more durable to keep maintainence cost down. the only problem I had with the engine was the harmonic balance broke at around 200k mi. the car lost a little power, but not much after the timing belt was replaced.

Great used car
By Kindreth

1990 Ford Probe Hatchback LX 2dr Hatchback

After reading others' experiences I went ahead and bought my 90 with 147K on it, and have added another 9K. Replaced plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, front brakes (cheap!). Timing belt blew, but I should have changed it; no valve damage. Amazingly reliable and inexpensive; previous owner and I both use Mobil 1 oil. Best car buy I'ceever made.

Favorite Features

Cruise control and A/C work great; fuel economy is unreal; can actuallt take a nap with folddown rear seats!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. I expected the car to be slow, and it is, but with headlamps down and cruise control set at 55 MPH, I can get 40 MPG.