Used 1990 Ford Probe LX Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

1990 Ford Probe

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Best fun car I've ever owned
By Jim McLawhorn

1990 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

My '89 Probe LX, was a dream to drive. It was the only model that had a Ford body and Mazda drive train, and was the best fun car that I've ever owned! I don't know why others had poor gas millage, but I got 37 mpg "consistently" on the highway. In town it was close to 30!!! The drivers seat was great. I could drive 5-600 miles in a day and never get tired from driving. Boredom was another thing. The only problems I had was the window regulators broke. One just over 1 year, and the other after 1 1/2 years. Don't know why the passenger side broke. It almost never got used. The other problem was the dash computer cover broke from the heat in Florida.
I could lay the back seats down, they never got used, and use the back are to sleep in. Wish I still had it!

1990 Ford Probe LX
By Ron

1990 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

I put 264,000 miles on car, It still ran great and got 25 mpg before the salt took its toll on the body. I spent less than a $800 in 19 years on mechanical repairs. under the hood the only problem was the radiator, it cracked at 70,000 miles. If you have a hard time with finding some parts, cross ref. it with mazda mx6. It was very reliable and easy to repair (the few time it was needed. (you must keep front tires balanced, saves on front wheel bearings)

style still not dated, fun to drive

a little more pizazz to body.

The Probe LX "king of the cars, the gem"
By KING AZ

1990 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

Well, I have a Probe L. I'm telling you this car it's my little gem. But overall, this car its super. I'm telling you. I love this car. It's fun to drive. I'm going to keep it 'til I die. Anyways you don't see LX anymore on the streets. And I like the way that I'm unique.

The exterior, interior, the speed, the adrenaline you get when you drive it. Ever since i got it, I love to drive it.

The only thing it need to improve its the speedometer. It only shows to 85 that's it.

Awesome car
By Gene

1990 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

I am the original owner and absolutely I love this car. I have the Ford V6 engine & trans with 191,000 on it & the car is still going strong. I have never had any trouble with the engine & trans and this car has never stranded me. It's fun to drive and handles well.The car has it's original black paint and still shines like a new car. Well done Ford. I hope to keep it forever.

Sharp looks and fun to drive qualities.

Best Ford Small Passenger Ever Built
By spjm

242,000 mi. and this 3.0L 6 cyl. engine
still has some punch left. I just
bought a used '97 Probe GTS to replace
my '90 because this truely is the best
car Ford ever built. Why would any car
company discontiue such a gem? I guess
people would rather pay more money for
Hondas or Toyotas (4 cyl... Puhlease!)
that don't even come close to the speed
or handling of the 2nd gen Probe V6.

Digital Dash/Trip Computer (great toy for a man/child). Heater will keep you warm in coldest of nights with the windows wide open. Steering/suspension handles mountain driving like a champ.

Everything but the engine and transmission could have been more durable to keep maintainence cost down. the only problem I had with the engine was the harmonic balance broke at around 200k mi. the car lost a little power, but not much after the timing belt was replaced.