Used 1990 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Probe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

Best fun car I've ever owned
By Jim McLawhorn

1990 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

My '89 Probe LX, was a dream to drive. It was the only model that had a Ford body and Mazda drive train, and was the best fun car that I've ever owned! I don't know why others had poor gas millage, but I got 37 mpg "consistently" on the highway. In town it was close to 30!!! The drivers seat was great. I could drive 5-600 miles in a day and never get tired from driving. Boredom was another thing. The only problems I had was the window regulators broke. One just over 1 year, and the other after 1 1/2 years. Don't know why the passenger side broke. It almost never got used. The other problem was the dash computer cover broke from the heat in Florida.
I could lay the back seats down, they never got used, and use the back are to sleep in. Wish I still had it!

Class 1 Probe
By class_1_probe

1990 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

Hello, I have a 1990 Ford Probe GL. While it may not be the fastest car out there it has been very dependable despite having 226,000 miles on it. The engine has never been rebuilt and runs strong! I wish it had more power under the hood but it runs well and is in excellent condition. I have seen only two other Probes on the road like mine and they were rough! so I feel it is a rather unique car and I love the "TNG" styling. (Trek talk) :)

"More power!"

Die Hard
By honestly29

1990 Ford Probe GT Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My Probe is one of the few that everyone wants its a 1990 GT It has 200,000 gets 32mpg and still looks brand new and I've been offered $5000 plus a vehicle for this car last year I love it and I have not seen another like it

Love it's speed but lol I'm a girl so I bet I used it a top 10 times since I bought it in 1998, love the shape and when you barely give it a little gas how the front end fills like it is coming off the ground

has 2 tiny tiny rust spots I'd liked fixed and a hole in the head liner

1990 Ford Probe LX
By Ron

1990 Ford Probe LX 2dr Hatchback

I put 264,000 miles on car, It still ran great and got 25 mpg before the salt took its toll on the body. I spent less than a $800 in 19 years on mechanical repairs. under the hood the only problem was the radiator, it cracked at 70,000 miles. If you have a hard time with finding some parts, cross ref. it with mazda mx6. It was very reliable and easy to repair (the few time it was needed. (you must keep front tires balanced, saves on front wheel bearings)

style still not dated, fun to drive

a little more pizazz to body.

Perfect pizza delivery or college car!
By sam

1990 Ford Probe GL 2dr Hatchback

I am the 3rd owner of this car. When I got it, it had 125,000 miles, now it has 153,437 miles. I just recently gave it a tune up. it was getting a little sluggish. Now it's running great again. I went on a 165 mile one way trip and only used 1/4 tank of gas! the AC has never been worked on, to my knowledge anyway, and it is just now starting to take longer to get cold and it's 2008 the car is almost 20 years old. It is fun to drive and if I could make it into a sedan that would be great. I plan on keeping this car until it dies, and can not be fixed. I'm a big guy, and it fits me well.

The steering console, pop up head lights, handling, gas mileage, reliability and I don't like Ford! Perfect for pizza delivery, and great for a daily commuter.

Perhaps they should have made a sedan. Expensive to replace parts. Wish they still made the Probe.