2013 Ford Mustang Consumer Review: Ford won me over with the Boss

2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 - Consumer Review

Ford won me over with the Boss 302
By drdub on

2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I'll be honest...Ford has been the punchline to many of my jokes for the last 20 years. But I traded my 556-HP Cadillac CTS-V for a 2013 Boss 302 and I've never been happier. This is a "driver's car". It's simple, it's fast and it has a driver-car connection that's unlike any I've ever experienced. It's balanced and nimble, has miles of grip, race-spec brakes and copious power. The note from the quad exhaust is absolutely sublime. But as hard and loud as it can be when driven in anger, it's very comfortable and quiet when highway cruising and has just enough tech to be modern (cruise, Sync, USB/Aux, Bluetooth). The Recaro/Torsen LSD option is a must-have.

The massaged 5.0L V8 is a perfect match for this car...it howls in anger under throttle, but is quiet during cruising. Manually adjustable shocks offer flexibility. The short-throw shifter is a blast to operate. Easily accessible rear seats accomodate normal-sized adults comfortably. Massive trunk. Stripes are sporty without looking tacky.

Shift gates are close together, so 2-3 upshifts sometimes get 5th and 5-6 upshifts sometimes get 4th. Recaros have good lateral support, but are relatively lacking in lumbar support. Interior materials are decent, but not great. The biggest annoyance is that every time you fold the front seats forward, they don't go back to where you left them. I don't like the look of the fog lamp deletion. Leave them in or put in a different grille without two circles.