Used 2013 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Blast to drive
By monkeylove

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2013 base model 6 spd GT in 9/12. I really haven't spent a dime on the car that wasn't a 'self inflicted' modification. I wanted a wanted a tighter firmer suspension so upgraded with the Ford Racing suspension, 3.73 gears, and wider wheels/tires. It may now be too firm for some, but it handles great. If I were to buy it again, I would have 'pony-ed up' (sorry - couldn't resist) for the track pack with the additional display. MPG? - eh, well - I didn't buy it for that. Best I've seen on hwy only is 22, I average probably 16-17. Oh - my girlfriend is 'petite' and needs a booster seat to see over the dash so if you are short you should be aware of that.

Favorite Features

Power on demand. Comfortable for my size (6'5"). Huge aftermarket to modify/personalize the car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage sucks but I didn't buy it for that. Stock GT brakes will fade under track use - get the Brembo brakes if you intend to attend HPDE track days. Stock manual shifter is balky under spirited driving - after market shifters are much better.

Disappointing build quality
By carcritic3

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is my fourth Mustang & will probably be my last. The build quality has gotten worse with each successive Mustang that I've owned. This '13 is the worst. I've had the car since 01/2013 & have less than 4K miles on it as of this writing. The car has a clunk in the rear when I accelerate. There is a rattle in the front suspension when turning to the left or when going over a speed bump at low speeds. A rattle & buzz coming from somewhere in the dash & a loose molding between the roof & quarter panel. The engine & trans are the only bright spots. This car is a rattle trap & a huge disappointment. I'm considering selling it because of the poor build quality.

Favorite Features

Excellent engine and transmission. Good fuel mileage and power. Six -speed automatic transmission is great. Engine is smooth and powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality is terrible compared to my 100% trouble free 2011 Fusion. Cramped, uncomfortable interior. The car has Recaro seats, which are comfortable, but the high thigh bolsters make it hard to enter and exit the car. Steering wheel does not telescope.

Simple fixes could make it better
By gam2

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

My 2013 GT (6 speed manual) was purchased new. The 2-3 shift under anything over moderate acceleration sucks. I've also had several instances where second has been difficult as well. Rear axle hop noticed in certain situations. I am not hard on this car. It has also developed the well known engine tick. Will have to visit the dealer. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Other than that I like it.

Favorite Features

Power, style, ride, handling. Fuel mileage is not bad for such a powerful car.

Suggested Improvements

Hood struts would be nice instead of a prop rod. Spend a few bucks and fix the shifter and rear end hop. It appears to be a very common problem based on all the aftermarket fixes out there. Fix the engine tick.

2013 GT Premium Automatic
By bob_graham

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Love the car. Had it for 6 weeks. Went with the automatic - a little easier on the drive to work. Just a great ride - looks like the end of an era. looks awesome sitting next to our 66 5 speed coupe.

Favorite Features

Its a 5.0 Mustang - what's not to like.

Suggested Improvements

Actually only one issue - sound system. Solved that by upgrading all the speakers including the 2 subs in the front doors. Recommend the Kicker 8" shallow depth. It takes some work to get em in and don't forget to get new grills for those speakers. With a little fabrication you can get the trim rings to work.

2013 Mustang GT/CS coupe
By flassh

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

This car is an outstanding value, compared to the Challenger and Camaro competion. It has way better sight lines from the drivers seat and power to weight ratio is much better. The 2013 model year upgrades and improvements are impressive compared to the 2012 model year Mustang. I know the rear suspension is considered old technology but Ford has done an outstanding job and continued to make improvements to the rear suspension technology in my opinion. This is a fun car to drive and the 5.0 engine puts down gobs of power. The car regularly with combined driving gives me 22-24 MPG and I am not driving it like a Prius owner trying to build the economy symbols on the dash that they have.

Favorite Features

I really like the look of the 2013 model year Mustang, the Shelby style front end, the high end headlights with LED DRL's. The rear end with the new LED taillights and the gloss black panel between and the new lower rear fascia. On the GT/CS the rear pedestal spoiler looks great. The hood on the GT/CS gets the real heat extractor vents painted gloss black and this combines nicely with the factory fade out black color hood stripes. The final touch is the fun "Pony" projection puddle lights that are part of the comfort package that gives several other usefull upgrades.

Suggested Improvements

As other people have noted it would be nice to have a push in/pull out steering column. I do not find this a problem for my own driving position comfort, but I can see if different size drivers shared the car it could be a useful option. I would like paddle shifters for the automatic transmission people. I have these on a different brand sports car and I love it. It would have been nice if Ford made the Brembo Brake/Track Pack Option available for the GT/CS but they made these options unavailable for this model car. I would also have liked a factory rear view camera available. I was able to add this piece of equipment to the car and integrate it to the factory navigation screen.