Used 2013 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Pony up for fun
By Chris Walls

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

As a past Trans AM owner I decided to come over to the Ford Mustang. The car is a kick to drive, quick and responsive thanks to the stability computers. The seats are comfortable even on long drives. The ride is a little bouncier than I would like due to the stiff suspension but it is certainly not rough. I like to play with this Pony a lot, love the feel of that 302 getting it done. The MPG avg. stays right around 22, so you have a range of about 340 miles.

Favorite Features

The Retro look which is just stunning. The Shaker Sound System with great base and hearing the V-8 symphony. Quite when it should be and loud when it counts.

Suggested Improvements

Decrease the road noise which is a bit more than I like. I realize this will add weight however I think there is some room here for making the Mustang a bit quieter.

Poor Build Quality On the Cosmetic Parts But Fun To Drive!
By maczs007

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I ordered mine from the factory, a 2013 GT Premium with 6-speed manual transmission and extra premium interior. No problems with the engine and trans as that is the main thing Ford got right (except for the occasional missed shifts in 2nd and third). One the other hand and under warranty Ford has replaced the following due to defects: left rear tail light ( visual quality issue), speaker grill (broken at factory), rear end bearings (noisy), front bumper cover (warped), rear view mirror (vibrating) and drivers leather seat cover (premature wear on welting). You would think these things would be caught in the factory is Quality was Job #1?

Favorite Features

The 420 H.P V8! Punching it past everyone on the freeway and taking it through sweeping canyons. The car looks mean too.

Suggested Improvements

Look closer at your quality Ford! I am sure it is costing you more to replace defective parts at the dealer than by pulling them at the factory! More people need to take their cars to the dealer and have the crap parts replaced. Put on decent quality shocks and struts. The GT versions are crap. I put on Koni Yellows and replaced the crappy stock 18" Pirelli P0 Nero tires with Hankook Ultra H.P. S1s and the car rides much smoother. Add telescoping wheel for tall folks.

Simple fixes could make it better
By gam2

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

My 2013 GT (6 speed manual) was purchased new. The 2-3 shift under anything over moderate acceleration sucks. I've also had several instances where second has been difficult as well. Rear axle hop noticed in certain situations. I am not hard on this car. It has also developed the well known engine tick. Will have to visit the dealer. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Other than that I like it.

Favorite Features

Power, style, ride, handling. Fuel mileage is not bad for such a powerful car.

Suggested Improvements

Hood struts would be nice instead of a prop rod. Spend a few bucks and fix the shifter and rear end hop. It appears to be a very common problem based on all the aftermarket fixes out there. Fix the engine tick.

2013 GT Premium Automatic
By bob_graham

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Love the car. Had it for 6 weeks. Went with the automatic - a little easier on the drive to work. Just a great ride - looks like the end of an era. looks awesome sitting next to our 66 5 speed coupe.

Favorite Features

Its a 5.0 Mustang - what's not to like.

Suggested Improvements

Actually only one issue - sound system. Solved that by upgrading all the speakers including the 2 subs in the front doors. Recommend the Kicker 8" shallow depth. It takes some work to get em in and don't forget to get new grills for those speakers. With a little fabrication you can get the trim rings to work.

2013 Mustang GT/CS coupe
By flassh

2013 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

This car is an outstanding value, compared to the Challenger and Camaro competion. It has way better sight lines from the drivers seat and power to weight ratio is much better. The 2013 model year upgrades and improvements are impressive compared to the 2012 model year Mustang. I know the rear suspension is considered old technology but Ford has done an outstanding job and continued to make improvements to the rear suspension technology in my opinion. This is a fun car to drive and the 5.0 engine puts down gobs of power. The car regularly with combined driving gives me 22-24 MPG and I am not driving it like a Prius owner trying to build the economy symbols on the dash that they have.

Favorite Features

I really like the look of the 2013 model year Mustang, the Shelby style front end, the high end headlights with LED DRL's. The rear end with the new LED taillights and the gloss black panel between and the new lower rear fascia. On the GT/CS the rear pedestal spoiler looks great. The hood on the GT/CS gets the real heat extractor vents painted gloss black and this combines nicely with the factory fade out black color hood stripes. The final touch is the fun "Pony" projection puddle lights that are part of the comfort package that gives several other usefull upgrades.

Suggested Improvements

As other people have noted it would be nice to have a push in/pull out steering column. I do not find this a problem for my own driving position comfort, but I can see if different size drivers shared the car it could be a useful option. I would like paddle shifters for the automatic transmission people. I have these on a different brand sports car and I love it. It would have been nice if Ford made the Brembo Brake/Track Pack Option available for the GT/CS but they made these options unavailable for this model car. I would also have liked a factory rear view camera available. I was able to add this piece of equipment to the car and integrate it to the factory navigation screen.