True muscle in the V6 is hidden, but waiting to be unleashed.
By adr58 on
2012 Ford Mustang V6 2dr Convertible (3.7L 6cyl 6M)
I've had my 2012 base V6 convertible auto a few months. It was a rental and has just under 50,000 miles My first Mustang. It is certainly behind in design compared with European sports cars, especially the base model, but the appeal of the Mustang is in some ways its simple raw charisma, not its bling. The new V6 has awesome acceleration and can match the old V8 in terms of performance. The stock auto setup is a compromise though. For general driving the Mustang is sweet. When you want to unleash the beast, there is throttle lag and imprecise gear shifts until you get above 3500 rpm, then she pulls like a train.
Favorite Features
I love the retro exterior styling and the sequential tail lights. You just can't beat a summer's day cruising with the top down in an American icon like the Mustang. The Mustang stops on a dime to match its raw power and for that power, the 25mpg combined and 33mpg highway is amazing.
Suggested Improvements
Rear seat room is really tight and limits who can travel with you. I'm 6' 2" and no one can sit behind me! It could do with a couple more inches. I haven't been happy with the clunky spirited driving performance. After some research, I read about aftermarket tuning mods. After installing them, these have unleashed a hidden and incredible level of power, acceleration and shift control/smoothness, yet maintained the fuel efficiency. It's now a totally new car and a real muscle car despite being a V6 and not a V8. I believe Ford allows for Mustang owners to personalize and customize their rides, so there's always room for improvement - I'm now totally enamored with my Mustang.