2012 Ford Mustang 5.0L V8 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - 1 year and 15,000 miles

2012 Ford Mustang - Consumer Review

GT Premium Convertible (5.0L V8 6-speed Manual)

1 year and 15,000 miles later...
By rhalpin002 on

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

If you'd be upset with a creaky front end, having to return to the dealer a few times in the first 10-15K miles for warranty work (front end bushings), and a potential wheel bearing failure, then this is not the car for you. With all of that said, the style and performance far outweighs any squeaks, creaks, rattles or noises (plus the fact that it's under warranty until 36K). I will most likely be trading this in for a 50th Anniversary edition of the same model, not only because I am sure I'll want one, but also because if I'm having bushing trouble and a fairly loud wheel bearing noise at 15K miles...I can't imagine that the long-term reliability is good.

Favorite Features

Engine, engine, engine, and engine. The 6MT is notchy, but loosens up a bit over time. It's still rather tight, but the overall powertrain is incredible. The exhaust note with the top down has me lowering the roof at 50 F.

Suggested Improvements

Move the tilt wheel lever (knee scrapes it on exit), and give the driver more right-knee room. If the suspension components (e.g. sway bar bushings, lower control arm bushings), and wheel bearings are any indication of the quality of peripheral components in the car...I'd say "Ford, you better find another supplier". As I state earlier, long-term reliability is questionable, especially if the dealer has had to replace the lower control arms (for a TSB), the sway bars and links (they said that there was too much play in them), and a groaning/warbling wheel bearing (I've heard it from 5K miles, and it's getting worse...hoping it fails in a non-catastrophic manner while still under warranty).