Used 2012 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun, but room for DIY improvements
By endophage

2012 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Bang for buck a Mustang is never going to disappoint and I managed to snap up a 2012 GT Premium with only 1000 miles, and (as far as I can correlate) all the options barring the glass roof and California Special package. I've had it about 18 months now and got fed up with the sloppy shifter. Having replaced it with a Barton short shifter (and also replacing the shifter bracket with the Barton 2 post shifter bracket), it's a much better drive (this shifter and bracket are also sold under the Ford Racing brand, Barton has the manufacturing contract). I've had a few minor trim issues (e.g. button fell off the steering wheel), but no mechanical problems.

The navigation system is the best I've ever used. I'm comparing it from personal experience with the systems in Chevys, Audis, Mercedes, and various 3rd party systems (Garmin, TomTom, Google, etc...). It makes excellent use of the screen when navigation is selected as the main view. When actively giving you directions, half the screen is the map, the other half is a detailed view of whatever mess of an intersection your going through. It also provides comprehensive directions well in advance along the lines of "In a quarter mile, take the next exit and stay in the left lane to make a left at X Road". Also, I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk!

Install a short shifter and shifter bracket. The stock ones are very poor quality (especially the bracket). Spend a decent amount (~$350 pre tax) to ensure you get quality components. Also, the clutch travel is far too long. It should be possible to actuate the clutch with ankle movement only but I find to fully release the clutch I have to lift my foot off the floor. This could be fixed with an aftermarket clutch quadrant but nobody has produced one for the SN10 generation yet... (N.B. An adjustable clutch cable will only change the bite point, not the travel of the clutch pedal; also travel needs to be removed from the top of the pedal for maximum comfort).

Top down and loving
By lewmar68

2012 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Being a native Californian, I have always wanted a convertible sports car. I recently sold my BMW 330ci coupe( not a convertible) and purchased my 2012 mustang convertible, This car is fast, responsive and absolutely a blast to drive!

Multiple settings for powersteering Ipod interface cloth top! Sync!

I have driven BMW's in the past, one thing that would take this vehicle from good to great/excellent would be automated climate control, I don't care how much more it cost. I like to set the temperature and forget about it. Also the release handles on the convertible models could be a little more sturdy, my car is 2 years old but the handles look like the car is 20 years old

Mustang: They Never Disappoint
By jordans_stang

2012 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I owned a 2010 Mustang before this one and loved it. However, I wasn't the biggest fan of it's manual gearbox--it felt slow and it wasn't smooth. I bought my 2012 Mustang nearly brand new and it is extremely improved! This car is very quick for a V6. I have raced my friends 2014 V6 Camaro many times and blow it out of the water every time. I am more than impressed with its performance. It's also a beautiful design. If I go 67-70 mph freeway I have always gotten between 34-36 mpg--I know, sounds almost unrealistic, but it's not. I have tested it multiple times by dividing miles driven into gallons filled up with. These are amazing cars, indeed.

Gas mileage is amazing, power is amazing, looks, comfort, quietness, 6 speed manual, traction and stability control.

Though I bought it almost brand new, I have noticed a few small squeaks in the car when I drive. This sort of drives me insane. Also the suspension is not the quietest when going over very rough pavement, but that's expected in a sporty suspension car. Also, paint job could have been higher quality, but it's not bad. All minor things that I think can be fixed, but are worth it when you feel how amazing this car handles, drives, and the amazing power. It's so fun.

so far so good
By spbonus

2012 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Premium 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my mustang premium v6 with the MCA package new. I have had it for 15 months (15,000 miles). So far no issues. The car runs perfectly smooth and powerful. This is my second new mustang and this one is a huge improvement over the last one. Much more fun to drive, 305hp is sweet, brake and handling is a lot better also. On the highway I can get 30mpg. The 6th gear is a little weak so I rarely get to 6th gear unless I am coasting on the highway. Ford sync works really well with my iPhone. I have the manual and the cup holder is useless since I need the room to shift gear. I would recommend this car to anyone who enjoy driving (fast and fun) but doesnÂ’t need a lot of room since

ford sync

Good car, serious safety flaws
By ponycar

2012 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

This is a great car, with a huge potential flaw. I, as well as others, have experienced a crucial flaw in the stability control system on some 2011 and 2012 Mustangs. The stability control has a tendency on some vehicles to engage itself at around 50MPH for about 15-20 seconds. During this time, the car cuts throttle, and engages the brakes - and can cause the car to buck, sway, and behave violently. Ford has yet to acknowledge this issue or supply a fix.

Awesome acceleration, and decent handling. The car is easy to see out of, unlike the Camaro and Challenger, and weighs less than either of those cars.

I would change the metal button on the top of the console used to open it. This gets very hot in the summer, and is right where you'd place your arm. I would also give the car a more aggressive exhaust system. The factory exhaust sounds weak.