Used 2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun, but room for DIY improvements
By endophage

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Bang for buck a Mustang is never going to disappoint and I managed to snap up a 2012 GT Premium with only 1000 miles, and (as far as I can correlate) all the options barring the glass roof and California Special package. I've had it about 18 months now and got fed up with the sloppy shifter. Having replaced it with a Barton short shifter (and also replacing the shifter bracket with the Barton 2 post shifter bracket), it's a much better drive (this shifter and bracket are also sold under the Ford Racing brand, Barton has the manufacturing contract). I've had a few minor trim issues (e.g. button fell off the steering wheel), but no mechanical problems.

Favorite Features

The navigation system is the best I've ever used. I'm comparing it from personal experience with the systems in Chevys, Audis, Mercedes, and various 3rd party systems (Garmin, TomTom, Google, etc...). It makes excellent use of the screen when navigation is selected as the main view. When actively giving you directions, half the screen is the map, the other half is a detailed view of whatever mess of an intersection your going through. It also provides comprehensive directions well in advance along the lines of "In a quarter mile, take the next exit and stay in the left lane to make a left at X Road". Also, I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk!

Suggested Improvements

Install a short shifter and shifter bracket. The stock ones are very poor quality (especially the bracket). Spend a decent amount (~$350 pre tax) to ensure you get quality components. Also, the clutch travel is far too long. It should be possible to actuate the clutch with ankle movement only but I find to fully release the clutch I have to lift my foot off the floor. This could be fixed with an aftermarket clutch quadrant but nobody has produced one for the SN10 generation yet... (N.B. An adjustable clutch cable will only change the bite point, not the travel of the clutch pedal; also travel needs to be removed from the top of the pedal for maximum comfort).

Good car, serious safety flaws
By ponycar

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

This is a great car, with a huge potential flaw. I, as well as others, have experienced a crucial flaw in the stability control system on some 2011 and 2012 Mustangs. The stability control has a tendency on some vehicles to engage itself at around 50MPH for about 15-20 seconds. During this time, the car cuts throttle, and engages the brakes - and can cause the car to buck, sway, and behave violently. Ford has yet to acknowledge this issue or supply a fix.

Favorite Features

Awesome acceleration, and decent handling. The car is easy to see out of, unlike the Camaro and Challenger, and weighs less than either of those cars.

Suggested Improvements

I would change the metal button on the top of the console used to open it. This gets very hot in the summer, and is right where you'd place your arm. I would also give the car a more aggressive exhaust system. The factory exhaust sounds weak.

The best mustang ever
By fastredponycar

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I've had my 2012 GT premium for about a year and a half now and it has been absolutely FLAWLESS from day 1. The manual transmission is smooth as butter, the car accelerates like a missile, the candy red metallic paint is mesmerizing in the sunlight and the interior (especially with saddle leather) rivals European quality (my wife has a 2010 Audi A4 and we both agree the mustang's interior design/quality is superior) I feel like I have sacrificed NOTHING with this car and that's the first time I've ever felt that way about owning any car. The back seats are JUST big enough to fit 2 average sized adults and the trunk holds JUST enough luggage & fuel economy is mid 20's mixed hwy/city.

Favorite Features

Classic mustang looks and unfortunately, the 2012 is the last year it seems. 2013's face-lift does not sit well with me (the front end in particular) so my favorite aspect of the car is the classic muscular lines that flow perfectly. Obviously having over 412 crank hp (ford underrates these cars as my car made 380 rear wheel hp stock on the dyno) is nice also. Incredibly well styled interior (especially on the premium) really makes BEING in the car pleasant. The retro gauges, the brushed aluminum dash trim, the interior "mood" lighting.. everything all adds up to a really well done interior.

Suggested Improvements

The chassis refinements they made in 2011 are a huge improvement over the previous generations but is JUST good enough. when pushed hard, the car becomes a little squirrly in the back end and you feel like you're driving at the edge of control leaving little confidence in the car as pro driver Randy Pobst pointed out in his comparison of the 2011 GT with the 2011 M3. Simple suspension upgrades from either ford racing or (like I did) steeda sport springs and koni shocks and struts yield VASTLY superior handling when pushed hard, an excellent sitting stance (1.25 inch drop in front and 1.5 in rear) and stock-like ride comfort.

AWESOME TANG!
By tcross16

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I grew up with what I thought was muscle cars from the 70s,80s and 90s but have never experienced a power house like this 2012 GT California special (automatic) which is loaded with comfort and the latest electronics,also has an awesome sound system.I have 2,200 miles on it and I'm getting 28.5 mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 69 mph,with a combined city/highway at 23 mpg.I have never been in a car that so many people (of ALL ages) have stared at while driving or just parked.The hardest thing to do in my life now is to turn off that 5.0 engine after I park my mustang GT in the garage for the night.FORD DID THEIR HOMEWORK ON THIS STANG!

Favorite Features

POWER, ELECTRONICS PACKAGE,COMFORT,PRICE,VERY NICE RIDE,APPEARANCE,EXHAUST SOUND,MPG's

Suggested Improvements

Keep the muscle car style,don't change it to a sedan.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
By jimgt2012

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I bought my car over 2 months ago. I got the 2012 Premium GT with the Brembo brakes, Appearance package 5, 3.73 gears, comfort package and upgraded seats. Sticker was over $40,000 and got it for $35,800. I have had 6 Mustangs in my life (including a 1970 428 SCJ) but this is the best of them. Smooth ride for a Sports car and this car sticks to the road. I can't wait until the spring when I can get out and cruise with the local Mustang club.

Favorite Features

Total Performance. Throwback shifter. Throwback looks

Suggested Improvements

None