Used 2012 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2012 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Mustang GT Premium - Grabber Blue
By Tim Minnich

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Coming from a 3.7-V6, what a difference.
By Eric

2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

I owned a 2013 Premium V-6 for just over 2 years and always felt behind the more powerful 5.0, so I tried to modify my v6 to make up for the lower power. 5,000 dollars later I was happy with the performance, but all the bolt on ruined dependability. So i stumbled across a used 2012 performance white Boss 302, with only 6K miles. It was way more than I wanted to spend (36,000 Out-the-door). But I ended up getting over book value for my car and the Boss for under blue book value. I have owned the Boss for a little over a month and have put around 750 miles on it. It's my first 6 speed, and the Boss was a great car to learn on. I haven't pushed the cars performance yet, so I'm getting 22.8 MPG average being relatively fuel minded (75% backroads 25% City), also I only run 93 octane. Being 19 years old, I'm not too concerned with features or comfort. But if you're looking for luxury and comfort, you better pass this car up. It lives up to it's track car name with stiff, but manageable ride quality. I have the restrictor plates on the side pipes removed, which makes a lot more noise and causes a slight drone. I think It's awesome though, now I won't need a aftermarket exhaust. There's a lack of entertainment/features but I think it gives what you need, and nothing more. How I define it when talking to other people about my car, is that they took all the money in interior add-on's, and put all the money into the engine and drive-train. With the longetivity of the coyote 5.0, but with forged internals and improved cooling (The Boss 302 engine is called RoadRunner Instead of coyote, since the only thing in common is the block) I think this car will last hundreds of thousands miles with proper maintenance, all while providing awesome performance, sound, looks, and adequate features. Just be prepared for more expensive oil changes, tires, and a more expensive gas bill for most people. And lets not forget insurance cost if your under 25 like myself, $1500/6 months for me. Over-all I am very happy with the 302, it is the ideal budget performance car that is easily a daily driver. Will definitely be keeping this car for a lifetime. It's like being a part of a unique club to drive 1 out of 8289 made between 2012 and 2013, compared to the 7 some-odd million mustangs ever made.

Fun, but room for DIY improvements
By endophage

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 6M)

Bang for buck a Mustang is never going to disappoint and I managed to snap up a 2012 GT Premium with only 1000 miles, and (as far as I can correlate) all the options barring the glass roof and California Special package. I've had it about 18 months now and got fed up with the sloppy shifter. Having replaced it with a Barton short shifter (and also replacing the shifter bracket with the Barton 2 post shifter bracket), it's a much better drive (this shifter and bracket are also sold under the Ford Racing brand, Barton has the manufacturing contract).

I've had a few minor trim issues (e.g. button fell off the steering wheel), but no mechanical problems.

The navigation system is the best I've ever used. I'm comparing it from personal experience with the systems in Chevys, Audis, Mercedes, and various 3rd party systems (Garmin, TomTom, Google, etc...). It makes excellent use of the screen when navigation is selected as the main view. When actively giving you directions, half the screen is the map, the other half is a detailed view of whatever mess of an intersection your going through. It also provides comprehensive directions well in advance along the lines of "In a quarter mile, take the next exit and stay in the left lane to make a left at X Road". Also, I can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk!

Install a short shifter and shifter bracket. The stock ones are very poor quality (especially the bracket). Spend a decent amount (~$350 pre tax) to ensure you get quality components. Also, the clutch travel is far too long. It should be possible to actuate the clutch with ankle movement only but I find to fully release the clutch I have to lift my foot off the floor. This could be fixed with an aftermarket clutch quadrant but nobody has produced one for the SN10 generation yet... (N.B. An adjustable clutch cable will only change the bite point, not the travel of the clutch pedal; also travel needs to be removed from the top of the pedal for maximum comfort).

Top down and loving
By lewmar68

2012 Ford Mustang V6 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Being a native Californian, I have always wanted a convertible sports car. I recently sold my BMW 330ci coupe( not a convertible) and purchased my 2012 mustang convertible, This car is fast, responsive and absolutely a blast to drive!

Multiple settings for powersteering Ipod interface cloth top! Sync!

I have driven BMW's in the past, one thing that would take this vehicle from good to great/excellent would be automated climate control, I don't care how much more it cost. I like to set the temperature and forget about it. Also the release handles on the convertible models could be a little more sturdy, my car is 2 years old but the handles look like the car is 20 years old

True muscle in the V6 is hidden, but waiting to be unleashed.
By adr58

2012 Ford Mustang V6 2dr Convertible (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my 2012 base V6 convertible auto a few months.
It was a rental and has just under 50,000 miles
My first Mustang.

It is certainly behind in design compared with European sports cars,
especially the base model,
but the appeal of the Mustang is in some ways its simple raw charisma,
not its bling.
The new V6 has awesome acceleration and can match the old V8 in terms of performance.

The stock auto setup is a compromise though.
For general driving the Mustang is sweet.

When you want to unleash the beast,
there is throttle lag and imprecise gear shifts until you get above 3500 rpm,
then she pulls like a train.

I love the retro exterior styling and the sequential tail lights. You just can't beat a summer's day cruising with the top down in an American icon like the Mustang. The Mustang stops on a dime to match its raw power and for that power, the 25mpg combined and 33mpg highway is amazing.

Rear seat room is really tight and limits who can travel with you. I'm 6' 2" and no one can sit behind me! It could do with a couple more inches. I haven't been happy with the clunky spirited driving performance. After some research, I read about aftermarket tuning mods. After installing them, these have unleashed a hidden and incredible level of power, acceleration and shift control/smoothness, yet maintained the fuel efficiency. It's now a totally new car and a real muscle car despite being a V6 and not a V8. I believe Ford allows for Mustang owners to personalize and customize their rides, so there's always room for improvement - I'm now totally enamored with my Mustang.