Great bang for the buck!
By jimmbbo on
2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 6M)
I drove the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang. The Dodge was a slug, and the Camaro drove well, but felt excessively claustrophobic, and its lines never "sang" to me as did the 'stang. I was hooked. After 25000 miles in my Sterling Gray 5.0 GT with 6 speed manual I still REALLY enjoy driving it. Every time I get in it after a couple of days away, it's like an eager puppy that wants to go out and romp - with 412 HP. Great bang for the buck!
Favorite Features
The lines of the car simply captivated me. Handling is crisp, solid and predictable. An absolute joy to drive. Noise level is quite good, but after four hours can become tiring. Acceleration is awe inspiring. Flooring the accelerator during a freeway merge, the 5.0 never seems to run out of power... it simply keeps pulling through the gears, and easily exceeds any speed limit. The NAV and SYNC systems with Bluetooth connectivity and USB flash drive jukebox are fantastic. Fuel economy is as advertised, but a heavy foot is penalized. The new 5.0 engine is destined to be a classic - the story of the development of the Coyote is a tour de force in modern engineering.
Suggested Improvements
Interior storage space is limited, and more would be most appreciated. The 6 speed manual transmission close ratio gearing and shifter throw lengths are excellent. The linkage/shifting leaves something to be desired, and is usually smooth and effortless, but occasionally becomes difficult to shift. There are many SIG forum posts on this, and AFAIK, there has been no comprehensive cure. It would not prevent me from buying the car again, but the car is so nearly perfect otherwise, it's a shame to have that one glitch.