2011 V6 Mustang-Hesitation
By richardzuccaro on
2011 Ford Mustang V6 2dr Coupe (3.7L 6cyl 6M)
Overall my 2011 V6 Mustang with automatic transmission is a really fine car EXCEPT for the 1-2 second hesitation when trying to accelerate suddenly for passing or entering a highway. The dealer claims its probably only a half-second delay but I confirmed again its close to 2 seconds. At age 61 I am not drag racing. This hesitation has been quite dangerous several times( praise the Lord for his protection)before accelerating like my first new muscle car, a 1969 GTO. I was a part-time auto mechanic in '69-70 and will research the possible cause since the Ford dealer has failed me.
Favorite Features
The Kona Blue and the car's styling look beautiful .
Suggested Improvements
Please tune the car to accelerate timely in real world passing situations, not just zero to 60 mph, etc.
By robert172
on 04/02/11 22:50 PM (PDT)

If anyone else with the automatic has had a problem with the car hesitating when trying to accelerate, either from a stop or while cruising, please post a comment with all the details. Thanks.

By richardzuccaro
on 05/03/11 09:15 AM (PDT)

The hesitation problem has not been resolved: I took delivery of a 2011 Ford Mustang with the 3.7L V6, 6 speed automatic trany and a 3.31 posi-traction option in July 2010. I have been very impressed with this car except for a 1-2 second hesitation when I need sudden acceleration for passing/entering a highway,etc and it appears that the tranny is already in 4th-6th gear. I have complained to the service manager at Wantagh Ford who advised me that the automatic transmission was checked and there were "no codes in the system". He also said that the hesitation was likely only 0.5 seconds which is normal for a electronic throttle system. He said that I probably misjudged the delay time while under the stress of watching another car try to draft me until the Mustang pulled away like a guided missile. I disagreed with him and have since tested the timing delay a number of times under safer circumstances and it is normally an agonizing 1 to 2 seconds. I can hear the engine roaring ( perhaps an issue with both the tranny AND the variable valve system going from eco to power mode) while waiting for the car to accelerate. Some other Mustang owners who have experienced this reported problem have decided to purchase special performance tuning at a cost of over $400 and risk losing their warranty coverage. Is there an alternative technical solution aside from 1) manually downshifting to 2nd or 3rd gear, 2) battling with the dealership and / or Ford , and 3) searching Mustang forums for a solution? Thank you! 2011 Mustang 5.0-Engine hesitation - Ford Mustang Forums Reload this Page 2011 Mustang 5.0-Engine hesitation ... Appears to be the same as the V6 with an automatic transmission, at least our 2011 ...

By robert172
on 04/02/11 22:50 PM (PDT)

By robert172
on 03/27/11 20:52 PM (PDT)

Does this hesitation occur when trying to accelerate from a stop? Please give an update as to whether or not this problem was resolved.