Used 2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Would have been better off with a real horse..
By themanindbox

2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased a brand new 427R Roush. It was a Beautiful looking car, and a rocket.. But looks fade faster then fords relaibility does. This was my first New american car.. after owning a variety of Honda, Toyota, and Subaru based cars, i figured i would do the American thing and buy an american car.. Well the fact is, it is a Mexican and Canadian car.. Where as my toyota's are more american. At 56K out the door it was a huge disappointment.

Favorite Features

0-60 in neck snapping rocket speed. With simple bolt on's and slicks it ran a low 11.24

Suggested Improvements

where to start!!!??? 1. The power steering pump died at 8K miles 2. It was burning oil at 12K miles 3. Two sets of power window motors before 18K miles 4. Exhaust leaks at the manifold gaskets 5. clutch peddle broke the welds and fell off.. 6. Rattles and squeeks 7. Headlight benzles melted off, and the dealership refused to fix them under warranty, until my lawyer called. 8. 10mpg on a good day.. 9. Rear end seal started leaking at 22k miles.. Luckily sold it at 33K miles for 25K dollars.. yeah lost 31K dollars in value over 2 years.. worst POS ever.. Run if you have a choice!

2009 Bullit - 12,000 miles later
By uwe1

2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

While I initially loved the car, and had written a rather positive review at the time, I believe 12,000 miles later my opinion has changed. While the power of the car is still outstanding, and the pricing almost unbeatable, I see issues with the build quality (rattling noises everywhere, parts inside falling off with no apparent reason), as well as the handling (doesn't like sharp turns e.g. @ a traffic light - even when the road is dry! Rain, snow - let's not go there). Seat belt is strangling me (I'm 5.11). Passenger seat can NOT be adjusted for height, so my petite wife doesn't like to drive with me as she almost can't see outside.

Favorite Features

Power, price tag

Suggested Improvements

Needs better build quality BADLY, replace the solid rear axle with something that belongs in the 21st century for crying out loud. What's the deal with the driver seat belt?! Passenger seat should accommodate people who are below average height.

Monster
By Marsh

2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this car summer 2009 so far it has only 4500 miles. The handling and performance has been exceptional and very exciting, puts you in the driving mood. I must admit I will have to change the suspension and try limiting the hood vibration somewhat. Overall with a few touches here and there, some deep dish Rim, this car should be great.

Favorite Features

I really like the dash board settings

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade suspension, hood vibrate at high speed,

Love My Mustang
By Dennis

2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Just bought the car in March of this year and it was a NEW 2009 left over vehicle and got a great deal. I was so impressed with the overall car and how fun it is to drive and it is a real road machine! It handles great and is just a kick to be in. The seats are super comfortable and I rate this car a 10.

Favorite Features

Agile handling and the throaty rumble of the dual exhausts.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of anything I could improve on my car.

Turned a lifetime GM guy into a Ford guy
By Mike S.

2009 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned nothing but GM vehicles all my life. I don't know what GM was thinking with the new Camaro (yuk!) When Ford redesigned the Mustang in 2005, they had my attention. I finally "flipped" to Ford after comparing GM and Mopar offerings (I only purchase domestic vehicles - no imports for this guy!)and I could not be more pleased with my decision. I have the best of both worlds. The retro stlying of the sixties classics, but also the outstanding performance, handling, comfort, and reliability of a modern day vehicle. Not to mention, where else can you get this kind of car, brand new, with a V8, for 25K? Yes, the interior has a lot of plastic, but what car does not nowadays?

Favorite Features

Power. Manual trans. Surprisingly smooth and quiet ride, at least for this type of vehicle. Styling. I Have seen the 2010 offering. Although Ford has addressed the shortcomings noted in other reviews on the new model, I personally like the 2005-2009 model better. Shaker 500 audio system ROCKS!

Suggested Improvements

Moot point. All addressed, or, in my opinion, over-addressed in the 2010 model. The Mustang was never intended to be a luxury car. It is a very well executed, affordable muscle car.