Used 2008 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Do NOT buy a Mustang
By cakes5

2008 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought a 2008 Mustang GT last year. Big mistake. It looks pretty and is fast, but that is it. I have spent thousands of dollars on maintenance for it, having to replace part after part. Just a few days ago my engine light came on. I thought it was no big deal and I'd take it in to get checked out sometime. Well I was sitting at a red light, it turned green, I gave it gas, and it died on me. Right in the middle of the road. It started back up and as I began to drive it, it died again. I had to spend another $157 on it to get the cool air intake problem fixed. And of course the warranty has covered none of the many repairs. I had a Toyota before this car and never had these problems.

Favorite Features

The car looks pretty and is fast. It is very unreliable and you will do nothing but pay alot of money fixing it all the time. It is a 2008, it's not like it's some old clunker. I like muscle cars and I wanted one. But the money I've spent on it is flat out rididulous. People buy newer cars so they don't have to spend alot on repairs. With a Mustang you'll have both. I am getting rid of it and getting an Acura RL. I would highly reccomend Toyota. I've had a Camry and a Highlader. They were the best cars I ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Just don't buy a Mustang.

think before you buy
By Roger Snyder

2008 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

this car was bought new sight unseen,What a mistake.Interior has little to no design.If you like plastic you will love the interior because other than the uncomfortable seats it is all plastic.Cup holders are non functional in the standard shift model.The back seats serve no purpose.exterior look is ok but needs some accents.Handling is not very good at higher speeds.Engine has some power but nowhere near as responsive as the older models.(2000 and older)The best way to describe the ride is to drive a dump truck with concrete wheels.Needless to say the 2008 mustang gt is not a good choice.Try the new chevy camaro,better looks and more speed.

Favorite Features

exterior?

Suggested Improvements

Interior design and quality.Better handling.Improve engine response

Heavy Duty Smooth Rolling Art
By All American Muscle

2008 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Mustang GT is the musclecar buy of the last 40 years! It goes well, stops, idles, and cruises like a dream. It runs on 87 gas and gives all 300 Horses doing it. The car is when driven responsibly the safest sporting car in the U.S.A. The visibility is excellent, the exhaust note is hypnotic. The stock stereo has cheap made in China speakers that sound anywhere from ok to very very poor especially at volume. The a/c is iced cold anytime right away! The ergonomics and controls are sheer simplicity. The retro design of the interior with the satin aluminum package is a work of art. The plastics are thick and affixed very well. The surfaces may appear cheap but they are strong! Wow!

Favorite Features

The air conditioning cabin air filter has helped my asthma and allergies. The gauges, controls, and switches are flawless, The engine, exhaust, brakes, and tranny are super heavy duty!

Suggested Improvements

The base stereo could have much better speakers (4 is ok) with less wattage in the head unit (40 is enough) and sound much better at lower to moderate volumes, Then if you want power for volume you get the upgrade. An option for significantly better seats would be appealing. Stock seats are good.

Only one of its kind
By Barryg

2008 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

If you want a mean sounding, torque pounding, rumbling V8 with a 5 speed (like I did), with modern day comfort, the Mustang GT is it. Leather seats are comfortable. I installed 3.73 gears, lowered the car 1.5 inches with Ford racing springs and added the FRPP GTA axleback mufflers that come on the Bullitt Mustang. The car is set up the way it should be and with the mods, still under $26K. The GT is raw and the ride is a little on the rough side but it's so much fine to drive. Gas mileage for me is around 20 overall. If you want quiet and refined look elsewhere. If you want a solid fun RWD V8 at a great price with unlimited aftermarket support, get the GT. No regrets at all!

Favorite Features

RWD, V8 sound, torque, power, aftermarket, comfortable leather seats

Suggested Improvements

My only gripe is that many of the 5 speeds have a 2nd-3rd gear grind when the car is cold (overnight). There is a recall for this. For now I go to neutral then 3rd the first 2 or 3 times. And anything in the cupholders gets in the way of shifting.

Awesome in Theory
By Cliff

2008 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The GT is an awesome design. IMO, it's the sexiest car on the road. It seems well built, very solid, and decently comfy. Interior layout could be more ergonomic, and needs a storage tray. Engine has lots of grunt, but the car seems too heavy to be truly fast. Still, plenty of fun to drive. However, while it's a cool ride, it seems very prone to manufacturer's defects in the drive train. Over the past 2 months, it's been in the shop for nearly 30 days, and both the transmission and rear end assembly have needed replacement. Car is entirely too new to have so many problems. I plan on sending the GT back, and I won't be getting another.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, torquey engine

Suggested Improvements

Less-clunky shifter, usable cupholders, telescoping steering wheel, single DIN stereo to make room for storage tray, and most importantly a reliable drive train.