Great retro fun, but...
By Intothewest on
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)
Bought this car after convincing my wife we "needed" a convertible. Since we have a child, we needed something with a back seat. Since I needed a "sports" car (re: not FWD), the Mustang was the only real option. After years of disliking Mustangs (Fox platform versions), and driving several Japanese cars (Civics, WRX, etc), I was pleasantly surprised how quickly this car reminded me what's important in a car...a good sounding and performing engine, great looks, and back-to-basics simplicity, which means living with some shortcomings. The rear live axle can feel a little unplanted on rough roads during spirited cornering. The interior materials quality is also low-rent in look and feel.
Favorite Features
Sound, power, low end torque...there are 6's out there now that offer as much or more power, but don't deliver in good ol'V8 fashion. Retro styling in and out gives this car a unique, and classic feel. Back to basics driving - no over-the-top nanny gear or electronics.
Suggested Improvements
The engine is fantastic, but obviously worse on gas. I've averaged about 17 US MPG. For the price, the interior looks cheaper than anything out there. Questionable design choices (re: cost cutting) as well, such as the 80's style antenna, no power for driver seat back, rear live axle, etc.