Used 2006 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 312 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Good Buy
By Jay

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I'll be sad to see mine go. I've had BMW's, Camaro's, and Vettes, and this is by far my favorite car to date. Very reliable so far with only one problem (fuel gauge sensor) but otherwise a perfect all around car. Not too fast (yes there is such a thing), but more than fast enough to get you in trouble on any road.

V8 sound. Best exhaust note ever.

Interior material quality. The 06 didn't have heated leather, but they fixed that in 07. Also a bit more exhaust note would be awesome.

Sad but True....not worth it
By PhantomrStang

2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 3 years. Wanted one since I was a kid. Very unhappy. Squeaks and rattles in the dash, window tint scratches when rolled down, spoiler comes lose constantly, vibration in front end that no one can seem to fix, new rattle in suspension, beginning to have trouble with the drive train, carpet and leather wear terribly, windows are beginning to leak when washed, more wind noise etc. This car was garage kept and babied, there is no excuse for this horrible quality. Though it was fun to drive and gets lots of look I will likely never buy Ford again! Go with the Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus or what ever else you are looking at!

The looks of the people I drive past, the exhaust note, speed

Different clutch and shorter throw for the gear box, all new interior materials, better overall build quality, improve customer service, better. Or sell the loaded GT for about $15K brand new and you could say you get what you pay for!

One Super Car
By DC Dave

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought my 2006 GT with 5,000 miles on it and in absolute perfect condition. This car is a blast to customize and an absolute head turner.

Haven't found anything I don't like

None

Bought it new, falling apart
By Brenda

2006 Ford Mustang V6 Standard 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2006 Mustang v6 Coupe is my 7th Mustang, I bought it new off the lot, and it's left me stranded all over town--thank God I have roadside assistance! After two years of ownership a dead battery left me stranded out at work at midnight, in March I'll have had the car 3 years and I just had to put a new transmission in it at 68,000 miles. The Ford dealer said that since I hadn't had the transmission serviced at 30,000 mile intervals like the manual says I need to, they can't help. I've not had the oil changed exactly every 3,000 miles, does this mean the engine is going to blow? Very poor quality.

Great handling, when it's running.

Free roadside assistance after 30,000 miles.

Great retro fun, but...
By Intothewest

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car after convincing my wife we "needed" a convertible. Since we have a child, we needed something with a back seat. Since I needed a "sports" car (re: not FWD), the Mustang was the only real option. After years of disliking Mustangs (Fox platform versions), and driving several Japanese cars (Civics, WRX, etc), I was pleasantly surprised how quickly this car reminded me what's important in a car...a good sounding and performing engine, great looks, and back-to-basics simplicity, which means living with some shortcomings. The rear live axle can feel a little unplanted on rough roads during spirited cornering. The interior materials quality is also low-rent in look and feel.

Sound, power, low end torque...there are 6's out there now that offer as much or more power, but don't deliver in good ol'V8 fashion. Retro styling in and out gives this car a unique, and classic feel. Back to basics driving - no over-the-top nanny gear or electronics.

The engine is fantastic, but obviously worse on gas. I've averaged about 17 US MPG. For the price, the interior looks cheaper than anything out there. Questionable design choices (re: cost cutting) as well, such as the 80's style antenna, no power for driver seat back, rear live axle, etc.