Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Great car, and holds up well
By Brandon - STANG281

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've owned it for about 2 1/2 years now, I have about 45,000 miles on it. This was my first car, first manual. The clutch has been slipping for the past 10,000 miles or so (but held up well in my opinion). The handle/knob broke off of the driver seat release to lift it forward in order to get to the back seat. The rear differential has the TSB whining noise during low speed turns. And I also had a problem a few times with the TSB of water leaking into the passenger floorboard and causing some electrical problems. Overall, it's held up very well considering the abuse it's received. The seats are uncomfortable on a 2 1/2+ hour drive. The gas mileage is bearable, and not bad for the performance

Favorite Features

Power, handling, engine/exhaust sound, great exterior and interior styling, MyColor gauges, 18" Bullitt wheels

Suggested Improvements

Water tightness of the build, at least one cupholder for the backseat, armrest for backseat, gas mileage, power

Best bang for your buck!
By Alan

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is my third Mustang, my last being an '88 GT convertible that I also bought new. What a difference 18 years can make! This car is faster, smoother, quieter (yes, I know a convertible is noisier, I'm comparing to friends' '88 GT hatchback), quicker around the corners, stops better, sounds better and gets better gas mileage to boot. What's not to love? This car was love at first sight. I sold two cars to swing the downpayment and special ordered the car with all the toys - 18" wheels, and a 1000 watt 6 disc with subwoofers in the trunk. I'm a stick shift guy and this car has a wonderfully smooth transmission that shifts much better than my '88 GT. I commute 55 mi./day and get 22mpg

Favorite Features

The stereo which can rattle windows a block away. The wide power band that will idle in first gear in traffic or tear your head off with a redline power shift.

Suggested Improvements

Instant MPG in numbers instead of the stupid bar graph. Thicker padding on the seats for better long distance comfort.

Built Ford Tuff
By Adrian

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I waited to buy a Mustang after I saw that a new boby style was coming out. I ordered mine from my brother who is a manager at a Ford dealer. Over the phone I showed him several web sites that had the type of spoiler, stripes and front air dam that I wanted. I grew up with sixties muscle cars and wanted mine to look retro. So many people stopped me to ask about the car that it began to get embarassing. The car look great. Dark Blue with white LeMans stripes, and a duck tail spoiler. My neighbor(its been across the street for 2 yrs)asked my wife what kind of milage I was getting with that old muscle car. She told him 20+ combined city/Hwy. he called her a lier,and she told him it was an 06.

Favorite Features

Style, handling, performance.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the displacement of the engine but I know that won't happen because of the Cobra. Not to much to improve on. The Cobra has 500hp vs 300 for mine and is only 1/2 second fasted 0-60, and I'm use regular gas. With minor mods I could more than make up that difference and mine cost 1/2 as much.

Bad To The Bone
By gypsy

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought my '06 Silver GT brand new, and only have 7,100 miles on it. Have the 5 speed manual trans. which is the only way to go. Have added lots of goodies to it to pump up the HP's, and replaced the stock mufflers with MAC. Sounds totally awesome. Added louvers, hood scoop & blackout panel on the trunk lid. I totally love this car, and the way I feel right now, will keep it for as long as I'm around. I still get a thrill when I get behind the wheel, and never have a shortage of people telling me how great it looks.

Favorite Features

Style, performance, sound.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be a little more comfortable.

#1 Car to drive
By Matty Mustang

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I loved my 2003 Mustang GT deluxe coupe, but all it took was a short test drive for me to trade it in for a 2006 GT premium coupe (both manual transmissions). The increase in horsepower and safety was what truely convinced me. I mostly do in town driving and average about 20 mpg, but I took two trips both over 1200 miles where I averaged 26 mpg. I had to have the stereo replaced about 4 months after I got it, but since then I have had no problems. I have a friend who owns a V6 and he didn't think that there was much difference between his and mine until he took it for a quick spin in the parking lot, now he is thinking of trading his in.

Favorite Features

The addrenaline rush while accelerating off the line. You get your money's worth.

Suggested Improvements

Hard to shift if you are using the cup holder.