Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Best new car I've owned (I've owned 8)
By Super critical

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

First the bad. Struggling to get a full tank is unacceptable. Turning the nozzle upside down usually fixs the problem. Car is kinda thirsty but for the performance you get on regular gas, it's within the bounds of acceptable. I have an automatic and the hesitation on downshifting is unacceptable and unsafe when driving aggressively. Now the good. In over 39000 miles, it's never left me stranded. Never been in the shop for repairs. Cabin is squeak and rattle free still. Took it on a 8000mi trip and NEVER got out of it with a back ache. Stereo is great. Seat, console and door armrest position is the best I've ever had. I love the car and I'm not an easy person to please. Worth a look!

Favorite Features

Seating position comfort. Mach 500 stereo. High performance on regular gas. Fold down rear seat allows you to carry long objects with ease. Trouble free in 39k of relatively hard driving.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the fuel tank filling problem. Eliminate downshifting hesitation with automatic. 6 spd transmission for better mileage?

She's exactly what I wanted
By Marshall

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mustang GT is my seventh Mustang and by far, the best. The car runs 13's in the quarter, gets over 20mpg, sounds great, and is a blast to drive. Not the best handling car on the road, not the fastest either, but a solid platform that you can make into whatever kind of Mustang you would like. Tons of after market support including: wheels and tires, body kits, suspension system upgrades, power upgrades like blowers, turbos, nitrous oxide injection, super chargers cams, heads, etc... You take care of your Mustang and she'll take care of you. I run premium fuel and full synthetic oil. Follow the maintenance guidelines, don't be cheap and skip over expensive services.

Favorite Features

The over all feel of the car. the ability to leave most vehicles on the road in the dust at your whim. Driving a Mustang is an event you get to participate in. Maintenance is pretty cheap too, even taking into account the synthetic oils and premium fuel I choose to use in my Mustang.

Suggested Improvements

Interior plastics are cheap feeling and there are too many hard surfaces. The suspension is too soft, the steering is a tad indirect, but it's a hell of a ride.

Have your cake and eat it too!
By Green Onion

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We ordered our's Labor Day of '05 and picked it up in Nov. Power, handling, MPG, looks are all amazing. At first, the MPG was awful but it's only temporary. After the break in period, I've seen as high as 26 MPG (at avg. 77 MPH) and regularly get 23-24 MPG on my commute (1/3 city 2/3rds Hwy). I suspect, it could go as high as 30 MPG on a long trip and a moderate 65mph but don't think I never put my foot in it. Plenty have tried but no one has beat me in stop light drags. Handling is surprising for solid rear axle, but would prefer a proper independent rear suspension. There are downsides, heavy doors, squeaks & rattles from dash but this is one of the most pleasurable cars on the road!

Favorite Features

Power! 95% of what is on the road can't touch this car for performance but with only a little care you can get great MPG. A friend's 4 Cyl. Accord gets 27 MPG on his commute. I get 24 MPG on a similar commute. Looks fantastic. Exhaust note is gorgeous. Great trunk space. Leather Seats.

Suggested Improvements

Lateral Support. Interior trim is cheap. Manual is clunky. The Mustang would be world class with Independent Rear Suspension option. Better service: Dealer recommended service for the rear end. Took 2 more trips to get out all the groans & vibrations! 21 days total without the car, ridiculous!

used to love it...
By bad times bad car

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I wanted the gt for many years, so I finally traded in my Mitsubishi for a 06 tungsten grey mustang gt. Ran great for about 2 months, then the problems started to occur... Ford services departments no matter where you go are no help, your better off saving time and money by going to an aftermarket shop to have any work done. I have owned it for a year and am done putting time and money into it. Though you can customize the car to any extent your better off getting a Dodge, Toyota, anything other than a ford.

Favorite Features

The dash was my favorite feature and the only part of the car to not have any problems

Suggested Improvements

Get a tune to have the lag go away if you purchase an automatic. Ford should offer better warranties for a car with so many problems

Good Buy
By Jay

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I'll be sad to see mine go. I've had BMW's, Camaro's, and Vettes, and this is by far my favorite car to date. Very reliable so far with only one problem (fuel gauge sensor) but otherwise a perfect all around car. Not too fast (yes there is such a thing), but more than fast enough to get you in trouble on any road.

Favorite Features

V8 sound. Best exhaust note ever.

Suggested Improvements

Interior material quality. The 06 didn't have heated leather, but they fixed that in 07. Also a bit more exhaust note would be awesome.