Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

What a car
By carlisleandy

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is one of the nicest and fun cars I have owned, and I have had plenty of sports cars. I get alot of compliments, and the sound and power is unbelievable. This car is pretty comfortable on long trips, part of the reason is for the redesigned seats compaired to the '01 mustang GT I owned.

Style, performance, sound, and comfort for a sports car

Headrest are angled to far forward.Some hesitation with auto transmission.

Quality's not there
By Mr boil

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car. That's why it pains me to have to report this car's been in the shop almost a dozen times. It was in for the rear clutch pack TSB 4 times! The Shaker system ate several CD's. It rattles. It's hard to fuel at times. The A/C barely cools the interior. I've had 10 year old Honda's that didn't exhibit 1/10th the problems this car's had. This is the last Ford this former employee will ever buy. What a shame.

Sounds great. Goes fast. Looks cool.

One word: quality. Build some into it.

Best new car I've owned (I've owned 8)
By Super critical

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

First the bad. Struggling to get a full tank is unacceptable. Turning the nozzle upside down usually fixs the problem. Car is kinda thirsty but for the performance you get on regular gas, it's within the bounds of acceptable. I have an automatic and the hesitation on downshifting is unacceptable and unsafe when driving aggressively. Now the good. In over 39000 miles, it's never left me stranded. Never been in the shop for repairs. Cabin is squeak and rattle free still. Took it on a 8000mi trip and NEVER got out of it with a back ache. Stereo is great. Seat, console and door armrest position is the best I've ever had. I love the car and I'm not an easy person to please. Worth a look!

Seating position comfort. Mach 500 stereo. High performance on regular gas. Fold down rear seat allows you to carry long objects with ease. Trouble free in 39k of relatively hard driving.

Fix the fuel tank filling problem. Eliminate downshifting hesitation with automatic. 6 spd transmission for better mileage?

She's exactly what I wanted
By Marshall

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mustang GT is my seventh Mustang and by far, the best. The car runs 13's in the quarter, gets over 20mpg, sounds great, and is a blast to drive. Not the best handling car on the road, not the fastest either, but a solid platform that you can make into whatever kind of Mustang you would like. Tons of after market support including: wheels and tires, body kits, suspension system upgrades, power upgrades like blowers, turbos, nitrous oxide injection, super chargers cams, heads, etc... You take care of your Mustang and she'll take care of you. I run premium fuel and full synthetic oil. Follow the maintenance guidelines, don't be cheap and skip over expensive services.

The over all feel of the car. the ability to leave most vehicles on the road in the dust at your whim. Driving a Mustang is an event you get to participate in. Maintenance is pretty cheap too, even taking into account the synthetic oils and premium fuel I choose to use in my Mustang.

Interior plastics are cheap feeling and there are too many hard surfaces. The suspension is too soft, the steering is a tad indirect, but it's a hell of a ride.

Have your cake and eat it too!
By Green Onion

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We ordered our's Labor Day of '05 and picked it up in Nov. Power, handling, MPG, looks are all amazing. At first, the MPG was awful but it's only temporary. After the break in period, I've seen as high as 26 MPG (at avg. 77 MPH) and regularly get 23-24 MPG on my commute (1/3 city 2/3rds Hwy). I suspect, it could go as high as 30 MPG on a long trip and a moderate 65mph but don't think I never put my foot in it. Plenty have tried but no one has beat me in stop light drags. Handling is surprising for solid rear axle, but would prefer a proper independent rear suspension. There are downsides, heavy doors, squeaks & rattles from dash but this is one of the most pleasurable cars on the road!

Power! 95% of what is on the road can't touch this car for performance but with only a little care you can get great MPG. A friend's 4 Cyl. Accord gets 27 MPG on his commute. I get 24 MPG on a similar commute. Looks fantastic. Exhaust note is gorgeous. Great trunk space. Leather Seats.

Lateral Support. Interior trim is cheap. Manual is clunky. The Mustang would be world class with Independent Rear Suspension option. Better service: Dealer recommended service for the rear end. Took 2 more trips to get out all the groans & vibrations! 21 days total without the car, ridiculous!