Used 2006 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Could use a few tweeks
By Jim Myers

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Great fun car. Vastly improved handling over the 03 I test drove a few years back. Power and sound is good. This is my first Mustang and I have enjoyed it. I am 60 years and have owned Corvettes in the past. This car compares favorably for a lot less money. I wish I had deleted the spoiler as it interfears with visibility. I would rate the gas mileage as very good for a car with this kind of power. I am getting better than 18 MPG in stop and go traffic. I have the 18" wheels and believe that ride quality would be improved with the 17 's. Overall I like the car very much.

Favorite Features

Interior qualiry, power and engine sound.

Suggested Improvements

Largest issue is that the gas tank is too small. Need to fill up every 250 miles or so. Needs radio controls on the steering wheel. Interior trunk release would be nice. Center console needs to be positioned forward a bit. Exterior side is a little plain. Some cool racy graphics would help.

If only I could afford the V-8
By Sean

2006 Ford Mustang V6 Premium 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother has a 6 banger '04. My '06 pony package is far superior in every category (not taking into account fuel). Yeah, I have a lead foot. With a GT I would be in jail as speeding is way too easy with the Pony. The handling is nice for such a heavy car but for the money you can't beat it. Be ready for some road noise, but get the Shaker sound system and you'll never notice it. I've only put 5000 miles on it but haven't had a single problem other than the frequent compliments.

Favorite Features

Traction Control - without it you'll just sit and spin. Tight steering makes you feel like you're behind the wheel of a real sportscar.

Suggested Improvements

A upgrade on the interior. Chrome colored plastic looks cheap next to leather seats.

fun
By jay.t.elliott

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have driven the mustang GT for 4 months. It is an absolute blast to drive. The fuel economy is not as well as I had hoped.

Favorite Features

The body style is great and the engine performance is awesome

Suggested Improvements

Heat seats, and better center console positioning that locks.

Love my 2006 Silver Stang
By HerbStang

2006 Ford Mustang V6 Premium 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This V6 is surprisingly fast. I am sorry it's not the GT but price was prohibitive. Mainly use this on weekends when top down driving is the most fun. I like the fact that the V6 exhaust has a pleasant sound although I'm told switching to the right side GT muffler will improve the sound. Won't sound like a V8 but a more throaty sound none the less. I'm considering it but my selling dealer says a different muffler could void the engine warranty. I don't buy that but I'm afraid to take the chance. Maybe after the warranty expires.

Favorite Features

The pony package is my favorite feature. The bigger wheels and tires were worth the price. Also like the interior upgrade options like the changing color dash lights.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Ford would have put locks on the console lid and glove box. Can't leave it parked with the top down with anything of value in the storage areas. I don't mean jewelry, but stuff like your registration or other papers.

Horse Whipped
By Jim Elsasser

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is my 8th Mustang since 1972. It's the best one yet. A thrill to drive and I love the sound of the exhaust. I bought an 05 V6 Mustang automatic and just couldn't stop thinking about the GT. Decided to trade in the 05 and haven't looked back since.

Favorite Features

favorite features - 5-speed, black with the chrome 18 " wheels

Suggested Improvements

suggested improvements - none- Ford nailed it.