Used 2006 Ford Mustang Standard Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Max Lives
By Max Lives

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Standard 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this Horsey in memory of my dad, Max M. Kruger a design engineer and an original member of the Mustang design team under Lee Iaccoca at Ford. Compared to my 2 previous '73 Mach I joys, this Steed is more stealthy, has greater visibility and obviously more technologically refined. Had only one real issue with her. The trip meter occasionally zero's itself even after extensive dealer repairs and tech help from Ford. Yes a few rattles. Also needed a new battery due to Florida heat. Got a set of General Ulimax HP tires and they are the best I ever owned. I'm not sure which I like better, watching my wife drive off in her, me driving us, or just looking at her. Max Lives!

Looks, Rides better than all previous Mustangs. Beautiful eclectic design taking most elements from 66'-68' era and blending with a more progressive and respectful styling. The V6 engine puts out more HP than the V8 289 and 302 CID engines of the late 60's & handles much better and stops on a dime.

Ford has addressed my hopeful improvements with a smaller, more powerful and fuel efficient V6. The 2011 also sports dual exhaust and a very cool front end and original 60's upward sloping quarter panel. I really enjoy the '05-'07 rear end and the rear spoiler on the '06 Fix all the rattles.

Only a few minior issues
By DLJ

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Standard 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drive very little (about 5k miles per year), but when I do i like to wring it out around town, on the highway, and twisty back-country roads. This car handles them all very well. Haven't had any real issues, and have kept up with scheduled maintenance. I did have a transmission pan leak which was repaired by a dealer; a few months later it was leaking again and the dealer fixed it again (free as was still under warr. then). I have an extended warranty for peace of mind but don't anticipate needing it. There has always been a little squeak near the gauge cluster, which I meant to get fixed but it hasn't bothered me enough to do so.

After-market items that I have added are my favorite: sequential tail-lights, chrome Bullitt rims, rear 1/4 window louvers, front grill billet overlay, shorty antenna. I also removed the rocker panel stripes and "Mustang" lettering. The car gets compliments frequently.

For 2010 model year onward: go back to the 2005-2009 rear-end style! Standard equipment CD player that plays mp3 CD's (only plays regular CD's).

It is what it is
By Carl

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Standard 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first new car purchase and I really liked it at first....Untill everyone in Oklahoma city bought one. Atleast there will be pleanty around to pull parts of in the salvage yard. Guys and gals, this car is what it is plus a tiny, tiny bit more..... It's a (new) $20,000 sports car. I do actually love mine and it runs great but I can see it going to pieces not too far down the road. It's starting to rattle a little much and the two "subs" in the door aren't subs.... Subs are made to play mounted in a box, not mounted in a door but hats off to ford for at least trying to be hip.

I love the "old school" look and the "stance". Also, it handles great. After driving my sons new GT, I realized how light and agile my car was/is. Electric seats....get right out of town.

Shaker 500 kinda sounds like crap. 500 watts??? I'll bet if you hooked it up to a multimeter, it's not putting out more than 15-20 true watts. Now split that up to all your mids and hi's and you get a ton of distortion at even semi-loud listening and for Gods sake, fix the freakin rattles.

Bought it new, falling apart
By Brenda

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Standard 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2006 Mustang v6 Coupe is my 7th Mustang, I bought it new off the lot, and it's left me stranded all over town--thank God I have roadside assistance! After two years of ownership a dead battery left me stranded out at work at midnight, in March I'll have had the car 3 years and I just had to put a new transmission in it at 68,000 miles. The Ford dealer said that since I hadn't had the transmission serviced at 30,000 mile intervals like the manual says I need to, they can't help. I've not had the oil changed exactly every 3,000 miles, does this mean the engine is going to blow? Very poor quality.

Great handling, when it's running.

Free roadside assistance after 30,000 miles.

Love It
By Biscuit

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Standard 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 9th Mustang. All 5.0's. My buddies giggled when I showed up with mine. That was until I took them for a ride. Now four of them own a V6. Two more are in the market for one. I installed the dual exhaust, cold air intake, and a reprogrammer. This pony bucks now! It also rides like a dream. The fuel mileage is great on the highway, not so much in town. But that's my fault. Definitely get the 5 speed.

The ride and ease of adding more power. The Redfire color. I took the option of having no badges or the rear spoiler, not my style.

Light colored cloth seats stain easily, even water. Seatbelts too far back. A drink in the cup holders interfere with shifting.