Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

V8 power
By Raul

2006 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After owning a 98v6 mustang, and investing almost $2000 on paint, rims, body work, and lights, I new I needed a v8. I bought my gt because I got a good deal, and because I've always wanted a v8 mustang. Acceleration is awesome, you can hear this thing breathe. Handles well also. Takes corners like its on rails. Interior is ok, not as bad as some say, well to my standards. Leather is great, convertable top is awesome. Mpg is not that bad for me. I get around 18 city, and 26 on highway, I have a heavy foot too. Love the retro style... Don't regret purchasing this beast. Wish I had more power, but I can fix that with aftermarket stuff.

power, leather, driver room

ford needs to put a 5.0 in there. let the 4.6 go.

Always gives me a smile
By Adam

2006 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

When the new design Mustang came out in 05 I just loved the looks. Well, I decided to build one just the way I wanted, and ordered an 06 GT convertible with every option except the auto trans (how dare you !?) and the 1000 watt stereo (I wanted as much truck space as possible). Well, I love it. The build quality is great. The performance is exhilarating. And it is always fun, fun, fun. A few issues were taken care of by the dealer - he bent over backwards to them make right. The car just works. And looks great doing it. Im even surprised about how well the resale value has kept up.

Its a convertible V-8 Mustang need I say more? The sound as you accelerate, the wind in your hair

More lateral support for the seats. Brighter gauges - the digital read outs on the radio get washed out in the sun.

2006 GT Convertable
By Mark J

2006 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We purchased this car one year old, and it has been fantastic in reliability and retro style. Love the convertable roof, stereo is very good (shaker 500), and the car drives extremely well. We traded a very unreliable and quirky Mazda rx8 for this car, and every time I turn the key the Mustang jumps to life and is eager to run. The car handles very well considering its size and gives the driver a confident feel of the road, always in control. A 1500 mile trip to the coast turned in 26 mpg which is great considering the HP/Size (way better than the RX8 too). In town average is around 18 mpg.

Style, power, convertable top, stereo, exhaust sound, great looks, reliability, overall fun to drive.

Minor stuff; automatic transmission shifter could be wrapped in leather rather than plastic, heated leather seats (2008 has them), inside trunk release, auto adjustable rear mirror, sometimes difficult to reach back for the seat belt in the front seats.

Most Fun for the Dollar
By Andrew Rheude

2006 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Start-up sound makes you swoon. Exterior styling is perfect. Interior comfort (front seats only) is impeccable. Performance is fabulous. As you can tell, this car is all about emotion. I drove it to Florida in late November with plans to stop halfway for the night. But the car was so much fun to drive that I kept going. Twenty hours later I reached my destination and still wanted to keep driving. Of the 51 vehicles that have passed through my hands in the last thirty-five years, this is the most enjoyable. Note: With only 8300 miles, and being stored during the winter, I cannot truthfully report on longer-term reliability.

Driver comfort, exterior styling, power, brakes, handling. And, as an aside, the looks and remarks I get from observers. From a ten-year-old girl in the neighborhood to a stranger at the grocery store, "nice car".

Storage capacity could be enhanced by folding rear seats, expanding the trunk. I realize that this may not be feasible in the interest of body flex in a convertible. Gas economy is poor (Corvette does much better with a larger engine and more horses). Rear seats are really not suited for people.

Live axle
By 38 yrs ford Tech.

2006 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I am a Ford/Lincoln Mercury Tech for 38 years. I have owned three Lincoln Mercury MK-VIII 's and compared to this Mustang, Ford missed the mark . The handling is not near as good compared to the MK-VIII. I have taken curves on a every day basis at high speeds and the Mustang will feel loose in the rear end. This is due to the live axle. The Mustang is a fun car and quick, but would have better handling with an independent suspension. But all in all this is a very fun car to drive for a 58 year old young man. Note - the Mustang will pass just about everything except a GAS STATION.

Exterior design, low wind noise with top up/down at speed, able to keep conversation with top down. Great!

Understand why live rear axle , but next time independent suspension? If you can over come high torque issues.