Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Loving my mustang
By bedbug

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

only had this about 2 weeks this is the first ford mustang i have owned, so far everything is great. love letting the top down and cruising around town

Favorite Features

shiny black paint and beige interior and conv. top

Suggested Improvements

louder exhaust maybe and telescoping steering to help my wife, she's 4'11"

Super Reliable
By Rock

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have 63k miles. Never a problem. Added some goodies, headers, catback, CAI, 373 rearend and hurst short throw. 360hp. Love this car. I still get comments from people. I have never had a brake job and I'm at 63k miles and still have 20% wear left. Solid, solid, solid is what this car is. I won't ever get rid of it. Best thing Ford ever did.

Favorite Features

Convertible and oh so nice by the ocean. Shaker 1000. Do they make anything better? Don't think so. Acceleration and cornering unbelieveable. I change oil every 3k but have had nothing go wrong.

Suggested Improvements

None. Some of my Chevy buds say the 2010 looks a little feminine. Hmmm. Come to think of it, it does a little. Think I'll buy one for the wife!

Great retro fun, but...
By Intothewest

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car after convincing my wife we "needed" a convertible. Since we have a child, we needed something with a back seat. Since I needed a "sports" car (re: not FWD), the Mustang was the only real option. After years of disliking Mustangs (Fox platform versions), and driving several Japanese cars (Civics, WRX, etc), I was pleasantly surprised how quickly this car reminded me what's important in a car...a good sounding and performing engine, great looks, and back-to-basics simplicity, which means living with some shortcomings. The rear live axle can feel a little unplanted on rough roads during spirited cornering. The interior materials quality is also low-rent in look and feel.

Favorite Features

Sound, power, low end torque...there are 6's out there now that offer as much or more power, but don't deliver in good ol'V8 fashion. Retro styling in and out gives this car a unique, and classic feel. Back to basics driving - no over-the-top nanny gear or electronics.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is fantastic, but obviously worse on gas. I've averaged about 17 US MPG. For the price, the interior looks cheaper than anything out there. Questionable design choices (re: cost cutting) as well, such as the 80's style antenna, no power for driver seat back, rear live axle, etc.

Not like the "Good Old Days"... better!
By DrFed

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've just turned 30,000 miles and have enjoyed each one of them. No reliability issues. Have only seen the dealer for routine service. This car is my daily-driver, rain, shine or snow. It has never failed to get me home, even in the snow! I've added a strut tower brace and a more-efficient (louder) exhaust. The exhaust seems to have helped the gas-mileage (avg 21- 22mpg mixed city/freeway). It is a comfortable car to take a trip in and the 500 watt stereo is fine. No squeaks or rattles.

Favorite Features

Top is easy to operate. Luggage space is good for trips (back seats help). 300HP! Handles great and has a solid feel to it! Top is tight, no wind noise or leaks.

Suggested Improvements

Folding rear seat. Xenon headlights.

There is nothing like a Ford Mustang GT
By Irish Rover

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased the car with 1,000 miles on it.. I have had zero problems with it. Odometer reading is 15,000. I drive it mostly in the summer with the top down. Installed Ford racing headers, x pipe, exhaust and a hurst shifter. This car is more fun than any man has a right to have.

Favorite Features

The way the car looks, handles, sounds and runs.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires, lower suspension and you just can't have enough horsepower.