Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Get Rid of it before 100K
By ronnzy98

2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I drive 50 miles each way to work and traded my 01 accord for a 06 mustand in 2008. Well 80k miles later the engine starts having this knocking noise and significant loss of power and not because I don't take care of my car as I changed my oil every 3K miles and keep it very well maintained. After Ford looked at the car they quoted me $4,100 to fix what they called a cam phaser issue (pumps oil to the top end of the motor). Needless to say I pulled the car from Ford and took to a performance shop, who said it needed a new motor for $4,800. Well thats great but this is not my toy its my daily driver. Long story short before you buy research cam phasers this appears to be an issue in many Ford

Dreams are well worth working for!
By MustangKenny

2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a V8 Mustang since my dad showed me a certain Steve McQueen movie called Bullitt, I just loved the styling and ferocity of McQueen's highland green '68 fastback GT. Nothing else was cooler. Then Ford released the '05 model, now that's a Mustang! Well in a nutshell I found a tungsten grey '06 GT auto with 7k on it and bought it. Best decision ever. I love this V8! It's fast and it sounds great, though mine now sports a cold air intake and Pypes Violator exhaust and it turns heads with it's loud rumble. Also this car is built extremely well. 31k on it and not even a rattle, not a problem. This is one I WILL NOT BE TRADING IN!

Favorite Features

The 4.6 liter SOHC V8 is a great engine. 300 hp is good, but it's easy to get much more power from it. Ford Racing, Saleen, Roush, Steeda and many more can up the ante. Also my GT has the best car seat I've ever sat in. Also a very well built car. No rattles. reliability has also been excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Could use an independant rear suspension (though the solid rear axle isn't really a problem) and the V8 could use more hp and more displacment. Radio could use an auxilary port.

First Ford
By spike

2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have been very pleased for the most part with my 06 Mustang GT. I think the retro styling of the car is great. It's like driving a 60s Mustang only better. The steering response is great and it corners like a dream. I am 6'2 and have never had a car that felt this comfortable. The Shaker 500 sounds awesome. I have had aftermarket setups that didn't sound as good. I only have a couple complaints. The rubber strips used to seal the inside of the windows scratch the hell out of my window tint when running them up and down. There is a rattling noise under hard acceleration that almost sounds like detonation; but I am running 92 octane fuel and have ruled that out. Very impressed

Favorite Features

Love the styling of the car inside and out. The Shaker sound is awesome. The availability of aftermarket parts is almost unlimited.

Suggested Improvements

Other than the previously listed issues; I could only ask for the bigger engine used in the Shelby GT 500. I doubt the cost of that engine is all that much different than the 4.6 to produce. But then what would they put in the Shelby?

Sad but True....not worth it
By PhantomrStang

2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 3 years. Wanted one since I was a kid. Very unhappy. Squeaks and rattles in the dash, window tint scratches when rolled down, spoiler comes lose constantly, vibration in front end that no one can seem to fix, new rattle in suspension, beginning to have trouble with the drive train, carpet and leather wear terribly, windows are beginning to leak when washed, more wind noise etc. This car was garage kept and babied, there is no excuse for this horrible quality. Though it was fun to drive and gets lots of look I will likely never buy Ford again! Go with the Honda, Toyota, Acura, Lexus or what ever else you are looking at!

Favorite Features

The looks of the people I drive past, the exhaust note, speed

Suggested Improvements

Different clutch and shorter throw for the gear box, all new interior materials, better overall build quality, improve customer service, better. Or sell the loaded GT for about $15K brand new and you could say you get what you pay for!

Drive It Like I Stole It
By luangtom

2006 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I got back into the Mustang as a retiree and do not regret it. It is a fun car to drive and fulfills all my needs as a daily driver. Ya gotta love the V8 using regular-gas. It is also easily personalized and that is what I am in the process of doing.

Favorite Features

The throaty sound from the exhaust is a favorite feature, as is the fact that one can use regular-gas with the V8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

A little more storage in the doors would be a plus, as would more cup-holders. Having the arm-rests a bit higher would be more comfortable.