Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun while it lasted
By Chris

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Had this car for 2 years. Many problems started developing after one year. One was the fuel gage...I'd fill the tank all the way and the gauge showed zero then went to full and back and fourth a few different times. Then the battery died leaving me stranded at work. At least thats what Ford said it was...it turned out to be the alternator which left me stranded again! And the list goes on. The car was fun, everyone seemed to like it, but the same old Ford issues kept coming back to annoy me.

Engine power, 1000 watt sound system.

Better build quality on engine components and electrical system. And I think everyone who has had this car will agree...the stereo head unit needs to be completely re-done. it has a lot of problems as well (which I've seen in other reviews).

Tell Your Wife
By Schatzie

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Be sure to tell your wife to adjust the seat so she can depress the clutch all the way to floor for each shift and for starting car. Frantic call #(1) "Car won't start" Frantic call #(2) "Rear windows are down and I do not know how to make them go up. Frantic call #(3) overhead light won't go off and rear windows are down again. Explained the lights will go off automatically after you exit the door and showed her the little buttons to turn off/on individual lights. Also explained button that makes top go up and down and if pushed will make rear windows go down. Why didn't I tell her before? I had to sell the 5 speed and thought the A/C and rear defrost and electric seats was a success.

5 speed.

Dealer explain how to sell your wife on car.

Dream Car
By LUNAGLO

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After 19 months, this car is still the one I have always dreamed of. I knew I was going to buy one as soon as I started reading articles about it a year before it came out. I still get looks and positive comments all the time. I am glad I went for the GT instead of the V6 because it truly has the Mustang "roar". The stability is fantastic and it feels like it glides from lane to lane. I added an "Airhog" air filter and I now get 34 mpg average, which is fantastic for a V8. I love the pick up when merging or turning into traffic. It is also quite roomy for a 2 door. At age 60 and female, this is my first "status" car and I hope to own it for the rest of my driving days.

Looks hot. Great pick up. Handles beautifully. Very comfortable.

Windows supposedly open from the outside by holding the unlock button down on the key pad. I'm told that this does not work because of the lack of a satellite in our area. Would like to be able to adjust the seat belt since I am short. Too much heat comes out the defroster and not enough at feet.

Finally!
By Leslie

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had been yearning for a Mustang for several years and finally realized that life was too short not to have it! I am now more in love with muscle cars than ever before and wish that I could have gotten the 8 cylinder (insurance wanted too much). Unfortunately, I do mostly NYC street driving to and from work 5 days/week. A real joy when I am driving around upstate NY. I never have to think twice about lane changes or pulling onto any highway. At first, it takes muscle to drive this car's stick. So much fun to break it in though. I got a lot of attention in 2005 when I first got the car. Best looking rear end on a car ever!

I love the way the engine sounds. I love the feel of downshifting. I love the way the body looks. I also love the curve of the front bumper. It's got that nice angle on the sides so it's not dented or scratched as much by other people who don't know how to parallel park.

A plastic thingy popped off pretty quickly...but I am not surprised that it happened. You don't own a Ford without expecting a bit of drama. I don't like that the vent can't be opened without turning on the fan. The option of a power seat on the passenger side would have been good too.

Not a great family vehicle
By StangGirl

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Last year my husband decided he wanted to trade in my minivan (lol) for this Mustang, well over all I love the Mustang, looks good, drives good (love the handling) except for it revving up (not sure if it's because it's a manual) when you go to stop, only happens occasionally. The CD player jumps which I heard that was common for the Shaker 500. And well ,it's just unpractical for a family. Though it looks nice and you get a lot of thumbs up we just gotta let it go.

Handling, looks and over all style.

Take the rev limiter out; it's a stang let it go....

• SUV