Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Overpriced American Car
By Chris K.

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking. But thats about as far as it goes. There is no back seat room. The dash and instrument panel are very inexpensive, looking like something you would find in a $10K car. Even the leather seats have room for improvement. The automatic transmission clunks when you put it in gear. The rear end feels like your riding on marbles. The list goes on. My wife wanted this car for its looks and from driving it, that's all it has.

Sonic Blue color and nice Stereo system. I think that's about the only good things I can say about the car.

Transmission needs improvement with clunking. Do something about the suspension in the rear for a smoother ride or at least get the marble like feeling out of the rear end. The design is good; the engineering is lacking.

Reliving our youth
By Rmtnone

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought our Mustang in April, and so far we are very happy with every aspect of the car. We find the handling and performance of the car outstanding. My husband compares it to his '68 Mustang and thinks it is even more fun. We have the exterior sports package and I have to say that we could live without the Mustang decal, but that is probably the only thing we would change. Overall, this a great car, we would prefer to get better gas mileage, but if your going to have a car like this I guess gas mileage isn't at the top of your list. Reliving your youth could be though. Thanks Ford for bringing back a REAL Mustang!

2005 Mustang V-6 Premium
By captnfred

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

While the 2005 Mustang V-6 is no GT Muscle Car, it is a great bargain, has adequate power, is very quick and handles like a sports car should. The Premium version with leather has a classic interior that's comfortable and sporty. The car is rock solid with no rattles or creaks. The Shaker 500 sound system is OK but could use more midrange. Great ride for the price.

The V-6 has a nice rumble and the 5- speed manual is smooth as silk. The handling in tight turns is fantastic. The exterior styling's resemblance to Mustangs of old is spot on.

The center console and door armrests could be just a bit higher. There should be an inside gas cap door and trunk release. The sun visors need slide out extenders.

Lexus to Mustang
By Clint Crawford

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the first Ford i ever purchased. Going from a 2003 Lexus RX300 SUV to a performance sports car might seem crazy. However I am turning 30 next month and I need some excitement. It is awesome, fast, good looking, and just all around cool. Had to go with the automatic because of my wife, but the performance is not much different. This is by far my favorite of 8, yes 8 new cars I have had in the last 10 years. By the way I was only able to drive the V6 coupe before purchasing my convertible. GT. Thank you Ford for not letting me down.

Red Leather, MY color dash lighting (wife loves this). SPEED. Getting a Valentine for my birthday. Before the speeding tickets.

Still a little shaky handling when on extremely rough roads, but still controllable.

Front end noises
By AJ

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought my '05 Mustang GT this past February and really love it! The performance and the muscle sound of the car takes me back to my '67 HP 289. It does, however, make some very annoying popping noises in the front steering mechanism that even my dealer recognized as a problem. It's taken Ford engineers over 2 months to come up with a fix and mine is still not corrected (now we're waiting on the parts). If the car was not such a fun vehicle, I would be very disappointed. I hate to admit this but this is precisely why I've not bought American built vehicles for a long time.

Strong engine, responsive mix of power and just plain fun to drive. The Shaker 500 sound system is excellent and I love playing MP3's because you can get 150 songs on each disc times six total.

Take care of the suspension issues and be aware that fixes take a long time.