Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

10 OUT OF 10
By Steve

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have never been so happy with a vehicle. I'm a 44 year old former 'hot rodder' who has owned several muscle cars from the 1960's and 70's. The 2005 Mustang represents the best of all those cars but on a modern platform that you can drive everyday under full warranty. I have nothing but praise for how it looks, drives and makes me feel when I'm behind the wheel. This car rocks with a capital 'R'. How Ford managed to combine the retro styling, with practical driveability, awesome performance and comfort, plus head turning good looks while remaining the lowest priced 300HP car out there is pure genius!

Favorite Features

FORD understands guys like me who want to go for a cruise, with a high performance V8 that sounds wicked and surges forward when requested to do so, turns heads, has great handling and a kicker stereo. We don't care if it has ton of doo dads!

Suggested Improvements

Memory added to the electric seat. Get rid of the hood prop. Tilt steering mechanism could use improvement. But these are minor and are hardly worth mentioning.

'05 Mustang GT Convertible
By markb1011

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car is Mustang through and through. I bought this car because it reminded me so much of my 1967 coupe. I love the retro styling, and the performance fantastic. This is not a "bells and whistles" car. If you start comparing it to other mid-sizes, it won't win many categories. That being said, this is the ultimate ride for muscle car fans, and especially for Mustang aficionados.

Favorite Features

It's a tie between the 300HP V-8, and the convertible top.

Suggested Improvements

None really. This car does what it was designed to do. They could make the ride smoother, or add some of the gadgets that you get in other mid-size cars of the same price, but those would likely be a waste. Mustang fans will buy this car. Anyone else shouldn't waste their time.

The Pony Rides Again!
By PonyXpress

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

2005 Roush GT Sonic Blue Convertible. Having spent much of my late teens and early 20's restoring '67 & '68 Mustang's, I was blown away when I first saw the 2005 retro Mustang. Naturally, I had to have one and bought myself a birthday present in June 05. I have about 2500 miles on the car and it has been flawless. It's great fun to drive and Roush has tweaked the car just right, from the exhaust to the ground effects. It's spooky, but I feel as if I'm sitting in my '68 Fastback, albeit a greatly improved version. With the flood of after market products becoming available by the minute, it will no doubt keep me busy again. Can't wait to blow the doors off any retro Camaro or Cuda we may yet see!

Favorite Features

Power/torque and body style. The convertible is surprisingly quiet and tucks away nicely, except of course for that beautiful rumble from the exhaust.

Suggested Improvements

Body stance needs to be lower from the factory - wheels too small and look lost inside the wheel wells. Seats could be better contoured to fit the body. Passenger electric seat option. Xenon light option package. Directional lights mounted in the front hood as in '68. Handling could be improved.

HOT '05 GT
By ken

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Outstanding, could not find a better car so I bought it. I would do it over again and again. A far out automobile.

Favorite Features

Drive train, body, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Do a better job of painting under trunk and under hood.

Fun in the Sun
By 2k5droptop

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Have had other convertibles in the past - this one is by far THE most fun to drive! Exterior is stylish with that retro feel. Interior is more comfortable than I expected (unless you are in the rear seat). Car is surprisingly quiet even when driving with the top and all windows down - you can actually hold a normal conversation. Engine is strong and transmission is smooth ( 5 speed automatic). While cruising the engine is pretty quiet - when you step on the gas you'll hear that throaty rumble that lets you know what's under the hood. This car really is a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Exterior design/looks. Convertible top works nicely. Smooth ride. Sound of the V8. Shaker stereo is quite nice for a factory available unit.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats for BOTH front passengers - with position memory. Top could raise/lower a little faster - but that's minor. Alternative spoiler for rear - possibly ducktail style? Make the new Shelby coming out available in a vert.