Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Late-Life Crisis...
By quietguy

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

My 5th Mustang since '85, two of which were GT's and two were Cobras; now this one. Mine is the automatic, tan interior with Legend Lime body color. I remember April of 1964 and the unveiling of the new "pony car". $2,400 and it was yours. 41 years and an additional $28K brings me the freshened '05 iteration. Time and prices have changed but this new version of a well loved nameplate gives us "boomers" an opportunity to recapture a bit of our "free love and go fast" attitudes long lost in the fury of modern living. The Ford finally did it right; went back to basics and restored the visuals and added some topnotch engineering. The car is fun to drive and look at!

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, driveability, performance.

Suggested Improvements

Fix that CD player; it skips during play.

Perfect
By X-Ray Mike

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have had my '05 GT for 12 days now and it is flat-out the best new Ford in nearly forever. Over the weekend I took it down to Arizona (from Nevada) and, with cruise set at 80 mph, I averaged nearly 27 mpg. Overall I am getting about 16 in town and 25 on the highway -- just about what the window sticker says (that's a first!). Unlike previous Mustangs, this one actually handles well. Its been raining virtually non-stop here since I picked up the car and I have yet to really break loose with the traction control on. The interior is a perfect throwback to the '60's heritage and the sound system is amazing. BTW, I paid slightly below MSRP for mine.

Favorite Features

MyColor instrument package. It may sound funny, but instrument lighting color is a big thing for me. The power and handling are perfect. The Shaker 1000 rocks. The fold-down rear seats actually lends a little (gasp) utility to the vehicle. The back seats are comfortable, if small.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats would be nice.

2005 Ford Mustang GT
By Jim Clark

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have been a Mustang enthusiast for over 25 years. With the exception of the 1965/66 models I believe the 2005 is the best model produced to date. The car is extremely responsive and the styling is the best combination of many of Mustang's best older models. The only negatives I can come up with (and I have tried) is the steering wheel could be about 1 inch larger in diameter as it tends to obscure the speedometer, and I would call this model a "fastback" instead of a coupe. My wife's only complaint is that she has to sit very close to the steering wheel to depress the clutch. Other than those minor issues, this car is a 10 and Ford has "knocked it out of the park"!

Favorite Features

Outside overall design. Sloping roof and grill treatment that are tremendously reminiscent of the 65/66 fastbacks. Extremely responsive 300 hp engine. Retro instrument panel. Very comfortable and stylish red accent seats. Much roomier back seats than previous model.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger magnets on the side of the seats that hold the seat belts in place. Audio system controls should be on the steering wheel. Automatic memory of previous seat positions would be nice.

A horse of a different color
By G Man

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car performers even better than it looks. No squeaks, rattles or cowl shake over bumps. Precise steering and a wonderful transmission.

Favorite Features

The stereo is fabulous. 67-68 styling with a touch of Shelby in the front end.

Suggested Improvements

More wheel options.

'05 Stang is Awesome!
By Rich

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I pre-ordered this car back in May 2004 on the first day that dealers could take an order for an '05 Stang. Mine is a loaded GT premium - upgraded red leather, aluminum wheels, interior upgrade package, side airbags, alarm. The power, handling and build quality are great. I love this car!

Favorite Features

300 hp V-8.

Suggested Improvements

None.