2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Sort Reviews by

Dream come true
By awmustang

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have been wanting a Mustang for as long as I can remember. Now I finally have one and it's so much more than I imagined.

Favorite Features

The traction control is very nice. I like that I can change the color of the gauges. The drivers door will not lock if the key is in the ignition, unless you press it down manually.

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping steering wheel, memory seat so that it returns to it's original position after folding forward, AdvanceTrac.

My Opinion
By onen5

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this car, and wouldn't trade it for the world. Like every car it has issues. I had problems with the struts, the gas tank, and the heater. But if you love to drive, you'll love to drive this. I can't vouch for the automatics or the V6 cars, but the GT with a stick (wrapped in leather) is a sheer thrill to drive.

Favorite Features

Body style. Just beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

Warranty engine modification (such as cold air, chips, or chargers). Offer chrome wheels, louvers, different hood styles from the factory.

'05 V6 -- a muscle car in every sense
By 05AV6

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

LOVE this car, have had almost a year now and love it more every day. Don't need the GT to get your heart rate up, this V6 flies. No disappointments here.

Favorite Features

Retro styling, interior, engine HP, auto transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More sound dampening.

Love It
By Kingcool

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mustang GT has great handling and acceleration. Interior comfort is much improved over past models. The traction control gives the car excellent handling ability.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Inside trunk release needed. Compass / outside temperature display. Memory seats.

bummer
By kurt

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Having a hard time putting gas in the tank. It takes about 15 minutes to put gas in the car. It will only go in at very slow speed, like in between off and start.

Favorite Features

Very nice looks inside and out.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger fuel tank, tilting steering wheel.

2006 GT
By NRBMedia

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Car has 18" wheel/tire option and 5 speed manual. Also have '88 LX 5.0. Quite different cars. New car is great looking and has a comfortable interior with great seats and smooth engine. Complaints are numerous: keys are too low and hit my knee, pedal pads slip easily, shifter is vague and clunky, engine lacks bottom end torque, rear suspension is jumpy and produces a choppy, busy ride on most surfaces, shocks are tuned for "Cadillac" ride and not performance handling, making for bad body roll. Gauges are buried in dash making for difficult daytime readability. Car is rather large and heavy compared with past Mustangs. Other than those items, a great, well built car.

Favorite Features

Interior looks and comfort, especially driver's seat, smooth engine, exterior styling. A new sport luxury car, but is this really a "Mustang"?

Suggested Improvements

Needs Independent Rear Suspension with firmer control, Shifter should go directly into transmission, raise location of key hole, provide adjustable passenger seat, put better pads on pedals, put frame around door glass so it doesn't feel like its about to fall out, better and more visible gauges.

What a Disappointment
By Phil R

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this V6 5 speed as a replacement for a 2002 V6 5 speed that I really love. (I still have the 2002, now driven by my son.) The '05 is a huge disappointment: the drive train constantly knocks, clunks, growls, and whines. (The '02 does none of this). The dealer agreed that it is bad; replaced the transmission with no improvement, and now tells me it's normal and I'll just have to live with it. Maybe the automatics are better, but DO NOT buy this car with a manual transmission unless you like lots of noise.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the drive train noise.

Head Turner
By Bernie

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is a great car, and lots of fun to drive. First sports car I've ever had, and let me tell you it is very powerful. You really have to use the cruise control to maintain legal speed. You don't feel like your speeding. I have the Red Fire Red with standard 17 inch wheels, standard interior with Shaker 500 system, which sounds great. I have 6300 miles on it, and I have not had any problems with it. Overall, it is a great car to drive and just go cruising. Lots of people come up to me and want to look and hear the machine. Gas mileage is not too good, but reasonable. One minute negative is that the amplifier gets very hot with the windows down and you can feel it in your legs.

Favorite Features

The style of the GT is probably the best feature of the car. The powerful and growling noise of the engine is the second best feature, and my third is the Shaker 500 stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

The passenger seat needs to be like the driver's seat. You sit too low on the passenger seat. The pedals should be adjustable for shorter people; that way they don't have to sit so close to the steering wheel. Better quality on the plastic snaps that hold some of the interior together. Cup holders.

very well done
By ed

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is a joy to drive. Power is very good for a car this size. The exhaust note from the 4.0 six cylinder gives the impression (from inside) that there could be a v8 under the hood. The styling is unmistakable, it says "MUSTANG". If you do not like to get looks or stares, do not buy one. Overall I would give the MUSTANG a 9.

Favorite Features

The styling would have to be my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

The things I would change are only minor items. The gauge package is cramped together and they are recessed deep in the dash. I would like to see them spaced better. The parking brake is a little awkward to engage and disengage due to its position and length.

Wow -- why didn't I buy this sooner!
By Elexis

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've been a Mustang owner 2 weeks now and wow, asking myself why I waited so long! Jet black V6 premium convertible with upgraded interior (black leather, black top and exterior sports package. Can't forget those side airbags and the active anti-theft for the insurance break. With the new body style it is a head turner from its shiny black exterior to its trippy old style rims. The driving experience is wonderful, hard to put into words really, but you could judge by the big grin on my face each time I drive it. The MPG advertised was accurate; I get about 17 city and up to 25 freeway... the main difference is I WANT to drive it and I take the long way just so I get to drive it more.

Favorite Features

6 disc in-dash CD changer; stylish old-school rims; great gas mileage for a sporty car; sports package (tail fin, side stripe & front window decor); great conversation starter!

Suggested Improvements

I was disappointed that there was no option for an onboard Navigation system, I am sure it is a space issue.