Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

05 v6 auto
By crack007

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Good reliability but the dash cluster sucks everyone I know that has one has went bad. The mpg for a v6 is horrible a v6 should get high 20s, I drive 84 miles a day and get 23 tops. The 2000 I had got 28 same drive.

Favorite Features

It's comfortable to drive once you get in. Mpg is marginal for a v6 car that's why I bought a v6 was for mpg and it's the same as a v8. Slow warming up for heat..

Suggested Improvements

Fix it where you can fill it at any pump not with the car tilted to the passenger side w front down. Better mpg, have Gauges that work rather than just jump to one spot and stay there

The year the pony got its gallop back ;-)
By bryanbrock

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the 5th mustang I have owned all others being older models, And I have to give ford credit it is a vast improvement and a whole different animal. Handling is by far much improved due to new chassis engineering, you get 305hp in the GT! Which is the most power available to the GT to that date. Engine management system does a great job of turning it into a boulevard bully when your in the mood then pretend its Hybrid when it senses your trying to save gas. Back seat takes effort to get into but plenty of room in the 2005 when back there. Clutch could be handled by my 80 yr old grandma, ..not heavy at all! Now even the car is 6 years old it still gets complements and ride requests!

Favorite Features

Things I like best about this mustang.. Best out of the retro designs in my opinion. I love the aluminum dash, "My Color" is a blast to play with. say if you like 70s rock.. you can program the radio to search for only those stations ware ever you go if your car is equiped with "audiofile" like mine.. love it! The retro Craiger rocket wheels are a nice touch, Cruise control with a 5 speed car, it can be a gas saver when needed and milage is greatly improved from say the 1998 or 1993 mustangs I have owned, again handling, handling, handling much improved!

Suggested Improvements

Improvements.. Ok ford, with as much as I love the interior their is too much plastic! wrap the dash in leather too or something! Tapty noises come from the fuel injectors after warmed up, but seems to only affect 05 models and has not affected performance or reliability.. just annoying. Shaker 1000.. if eqiupped in the 05 can get fusterated with your burnt CD and spit it out randomly.. again this seems to be 05 specific. keep in mind that ford moved the Mustang from Dearbourn.. ware it had been built since 1964 to be manufactured at International Auto Alliance starting with the 2005 model. of course bugs are a part of the 05 but nothing that will take the smile off your face at 80mph+;-)

Best Mustang V6 i ever driven!
By bikersam

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

05 Mustang V6 is the best car i ever driven, the 4.0 engine is fast and fuel efficient and reliable, i don't know what people are complainning about, when i buy a car, i don't care about the looks, the small things that go wrong with it, i go for preformance, the Motor and Trans, those are the most importance of a car, if the motor and transmission is in good working condition and so far, i had this Mustang since 2005 and its 2012, i have no problems with the engine and transmission and thats great for a Ford!! The only small problems was the battery went bad in 4 years, thats normal for any car, the dashboard gages went bad on the temp. and fuel gage, no big problem!

Favorite Features

All

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard Gages, besides, that, Nothing!

Ready to Run!!
By bigginny87

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this car, no major problems. It took most of its life in AZ where I bought it, in 08 with 48k on it, then drove it too NY, Now has 61k, never seen a NY winter. Its fast, and sporty or it can be a normal car, all depends on how you drive it, me I enjoy winning the races! Its roomy only in the front seats, rears are good for college books lol. Problems I have are popping sound while turning at low speeds, i cant find anything nor can the mechanics. Other thing is the 2 water leaks i had, a/c drain box, but that was just a drain plug, was plugged, the other i cant find but the driver side seatbelt fills with water when it rains.

Favorite Features

The auto windows up and down, and before you open the doors it lowers then hires when you shut the door. The gears are close together, good for banging those gears out. The retro looks every body wants too stare at it.

Suggested Improvements

Seals around doors, and windows. More power with the fuel economy.

American Muscle
By John

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I was concerned and apprehensive when I went from a Mercedes C230 Sport to the Mustang GT Convertible. On day two I knew I made the right decision. This car rocks! The car generates amazing torque and speed. The exhaust and engine are perfectly matched; it makes a deep throaty growl when I get on the accelerator. The handling is superb. The first time I dropped the transmission into second gear going around a corner and goosed it, I'm sure I looked like the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland; I had such a grin. This car is without a doubt more powerful, responsive and refined than the 5.0 GT I bought new in 1990. I am so happy with this car I want to sleep in it. Thank you Ford!

Favorite Features

Power/acceleration, cornering and maneuverability (better than European cars), looks awesome with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

More luxury options would help like ipod control through a touch screen, phone sync, rain activated wipers etc., but this is a raw power muscle car after all.