Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

The year the pony got its gallop back ;-)
By bryanbrock

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the 5th mustang I have owned all others being older models, And I have to give ford credit it is a vast improvement and a whole different animal. Handling is by far much improved due to new chassis engineering, you get 305hp in the GT! Which is the most power available to the GT to that date. Engine management system does a great job of turning it into a boulevard bully when your in the mood then pretend its Hybrid when it senses your trying to save gas. Back seat takes effort to get into but plenty of room in the 2005 when back there. Clutch could be handled by my 80 yr old grandma, ..not heavy at all! Now even the car is 6 years old it still gets complements and ride requests!

Favorite Features

Things I like best about this mustang.. Best out of the retro designs in my opinion. I love the aluminum dash, "My Color" is a blast to play with. say if you like 70s rock.. you can program the radio to search for only those stations ware ever you go if your car is equiped with "audiofile" like mine.. love it! The retro Craiger rocket wheels are a nice touch, Cruise control with a 5 speed car, it can be a gas saver when needed and milage is greatly improved from say the 1998 or 1993 mustangs I have owned, again handling, handling, handling much improved!

Suggested Improvements

Improvements.. Ok ford, with as much as I love the interior their is too much plastic! wrap the dash in leather too or something! Tapty noises come from the fuel injectors after warmed up, but seems to only affect 05 models and has not affected performance or reliability.. just annoying. Shaker 1000.. if eqiupped in the 05 can get fusterated with your burnt CD and spit it out randomly.. again this seems to be 05 specific. keep in mind that ford moved the Mustang from Dearbourn.. ware it had been built since 1964 to be manufactured at International Auto Alliance starting with the 2005 model. of course bugs are a part of the 05 but nothing that will take the smile off your face at 80mph+;-)

Ready to Run!!
By bigginny87

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this car, no major problems. It took most of its life in AZ where I bought it, in 08 with 48k on it, then drove it too NY, Now has 61k, never seen a NY winter. Its fast, and sporty or it can be a normal car, all depends on how you drive it, me I enjoy winning the races! Its roomy only in the front seats, rears are good for college books lol. Problems I have are popping sound while turning at low speeds, i cant find anything nor can the mechanics. Other thing is the 2 water leaks i had, a/c drain box, but that was just a drain plug, was plugged, the other i cant find but the driver side seatbelt fills with water when it rains.

Favorite Features

The auto windows up and down, and before you open the doors it lowers then hires when you shut the door. The gears are close together, good for banging those gears out. The retro looks every body wants too stare at it.

Suggested Improvements

Seals around doors, and windows. More power with the fuel economy.

Nice car
By Mike

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Mustang is a nice car! Price to performance ratio is very good and Ford has done many things right. That said, there are some annoying things about this car that Ford needs to clean up (see suggested improvements).

Favorite Features

Good power and performance. Nice exterior styling. Suggested improvements might seem like a lot, but most are nit picks and just suggested refinements.

Suggested Improvements

Headrests push your head forward. Seat belt latches in front are too recessed. Seat back doesn't have the ability to flip forward and back to the prior position. Tilt steering is a joke. Ignition key too low: keys often rub your knees. High beam switch needs work: switch to low beam too slow!

05 MUSTANG GT AFTER 1 YEAR
By B MARTIN

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After having my Mustang for a year, the only complaint I have is the weather in Ohio. I would love to live somewhere I could drive my Mustang all year. Every little jaunt is fun because this car is so fun to drive. The Shaker 1000 rocks! The looks are awesome. Nobody will mistake a Mustang for a jellybean clone Grand Am.

Favorite Features

The car looks fast.

Suggested Improvements

More power, more cubes.

Ride of my life
By Vincent

2005 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Great car; it makes it from a to b in good time with no problems.

Favorite Features

The best feature in the Mustang has to be the leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would make it so that it was more of the muscle car it used to be.