Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Fun and, so far, reliable
By TCSoff

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought with 7k miles, now at 26k, no major problems, just the same tail lamp keeps burning out. All-city driving yields terrible gas mileage, but cruising on hwy at 70mph, I get 28mpg easy. Installed AirAid conical air filter which made huge difference in throttle response, power and exhaust note. In 2nd gear at 3000 rpm, watch out! Very fast. Full-size luggage can fit in trunk, something most convertibles can't boast. Stereo is amazingly powerful, even on hwy w/roof down. Brakes could be better. Bumpy roads reveal rattles and looseness mainly in windows & roof. But for combo of V8 power, stick-shift control, topless motoring, mega- style and storage space, there's no competition at all.

Favorite Features

Power, styling, Shaker 500 sound, vast aftermarket

Suggested Improvements

Stereo head unit very buggy w/downright stupid programming. Steering wheel lacks support at 2 and 10 o'clock positions.

Black Beauty GT Convertible
By Mustang lizzy

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car is the love of my life! Unfortunately the Colorado State Police pay way too much attention to it too! I bought a 5 speed & can't imagine driving an automatic. When I want to pass someone on our mountain roads I leave them in my dust & by the way - I'm a baby boomer lady. I love the shift throw & have no problem with the clutch. I do wish the CD changer digital read-out was easier to see. My only problem with this car is the convertible lock down system. I also drive on some bumpy dirt roads & the convertible top shakes & shimmys more than it should. There are also some serious blind spots to watch for. I love my mag wheels & the Bullet sound! Not much winter driving tho.

Favorite Features

This car has been very reliable so far. It is beautiful & so smooth that I have to watch my speed closely! I have to put on the cruise control on I- 25 in Walsenburg because of stealth cops with their instant on radar. Sadly, I don't get to drive it much in the winter & it beds down in my garage.

Suggested Improvements

As I said before, I think the convertible lock-down system needs to be corrected as well as the shimmy where it connects to the windshield. The digital readout on the CD changer is very hard to see in hard daylight too.

Junk
By jimbo

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have always bought Fords, but this one is junk. I garage and care for my car. Serviced only through Ford, I do not beat on this thing and for some unknown reason: 1) The battery dies 2) Car decides to stop running 3) Brakes lock up. My next car is a Toyota. If Ford goes belly up after 5 years, they brought it on themselves.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, and the get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Over engineer some parts one in a while... so the last, big deal equals a happy customer. Stop planned obsolescence. Hire some one from Toyota or Honda to show you how to do it right.

Tell Your Wife
By Schatzie

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Be sure to tell your wife to adjust the seat so she can depress the clutch all the way to floor for each shift and for starting car. Frantic call #(1) "Car won't start" Frantic call #(2) "Rear windows are down and I do not know how to make them go up. Frantic call #(3) overhead light won't go off and rear windows are down again. Explained the lights will go off automatically after you exit the door and showed her the little buttons to turn off/on individual lights. Also explained button that makes top go up and down and if pushed will make rear windows go down. Why didn't I tell her before? I had to sell the 5 speed and thought the A/C and rear defrost and electric seats was a success.

Favorite Features

5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Dealer explain how to sell your wife on car.

Best car I have ever owned!
By patricia dunn

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have never spoken with more strangers or had more people talk cars with me than when I started driving this '05 Mustang GT convertible last year. It has called for so much attention because of its incredible beauty! It has awesome power and iI never fear pulling out at intersections anymore because NOW I KNOW I can make the turn without getting in someone's way. I GO! "She goes!" Entering and exiting military posts has guards drooling over this gorgeous retro Stang. With the top down, folks pull up beside me and start chatting about it. I just wish I had bought this earlier in the year to enjoy it longer!

Favorite Features

Its power and speed is my favorite, though I stay close to the speed limit. But to just LOOK at it is amazing still 13 months later still. Using the convertible top is so easy and fast to put back up if it starts to rain.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder in odd place for manuals. Would like passenger seat to have power control as well and heated seats (now in '07s) would be nice. No leaks while inside the car on a rainy day, but opening the door does allow some water to drip in. Perhaps all convertibles do that.