Used 2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

American Muscle
By John

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I was concerned and apprehensive when I went from a Mercedes C230 Sport to the Mustang GT Convertible. On day two I knew I made the right decision. This car rocks! The car generates amazing torque and speed. The exhaust and engine are perfectly matched; it makes a deep throaty growl when I get on the accelerator. The handling is superb. The first time I dropped the transmission into second gear going around a corner and goosed it, I'm sure I looked like the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland; I had such a grin. This car is without a doubt more powerful, responsive and refined than the 5.0 GT I bought new in 1990. I am so happy with this car I want to sleep in it. Thank you Ford!

Power/acceleration, cornering and maneuverability (better than European cars), looks awesome with the top down.

More luxury options would help like ipod control through a touch screen, phone sync, rain activated wipers etc., but this is a raw power muscle car after all.

Excellent Value for American Muscle
By Charles Starks

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've owned! No one single mechanical problem after 5+ plus years of ownership. I had the opportunity to run this monster on the German autobahn at speeds in excess of 140 mph with the top down. What an experience. Buy one, you will not be disappointed. Great job on this one Ford!

The simplicity in design with retro appeal.

None

Road Trip 2005
By Howard

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

At 61 years old and recently a widower, I asked my children if they thought I was going through a second childhood since I was considering purchasing a new Mustang GT convertible. They all said if that's what you want, go for it. I did. I had planned a trip to Las Vegas and decided to extend the trip and drive. I made a two week trip covering 5500 miles from Georgia to California averaging 23.5 mpg and drove over 1000 miles on two different days. The weather was great, the car performed flawlessly, and the ride was very comfortable. This car is not the fastest or most expensive on the road, but dollar for dollar is a fantastic value and a super performer. I'm looking forward to the GT500.

I guess my favorite feature is the acceleration especially when passing. A close second is the ride and comfort especially since I am 6'4" and have had no problems fitting in this car.

Kick up the horses a little and change the fourth gear - a little lower in the automatic transmission.

Just the facts
By Ron Bernstein

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I ordered in December. from a dealer that had no allocation. Re-ordered in April, finally arrived June. Top ripped around window, factory just replaced. The A/C was better (colder) in my 2000. No inside glove box truck release. Why only 1 rear window switch for both. The key rubs your leg (should be higher). Shaker 1000 not worth the money, besides eats trunk space. Quiet, fast, good looking; no doubt this car is a classic. Even with the faults, where could you buy a better car for the money? Headlights are great for the back roads. Backseat not bad in a pinch.This car stands out in a crowd.

20+ miles per gallon at 75 MPH, MP3 player, quiet with top up or down, dash colors are great and the computer (fuel used, mpg, etc.) works well. I'm sure resale value will be super ... if I ever decide to sell.

Auto headlights, dimmer mirror, trunk release and light in glove box. More interior storage (maybe bigger door pockets, backseat pockets). XM radio. Bigger gas tank would be nice.

The Car I Always Wanted
By triangleman

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I can't decide what I like best about this car. I have had so many people stop and look at the car and just say "it's beautiful". Then I hop in and drive; it's a blast, it just rips off the line and handles crisply. The seats are comfortable and the wind noise is better than my old Miata. The only disappointment is the Shaker 500 stereo; it lacks sophistication and the CD player is very finicky with MP3 discs. The door mounted sub-woofers cause the door handles to vibrate and hum when handling low frequencies.

Convertible, styling, V8 Power, seats

Need an integrated CD/Navigation/Satellite Radio unit (like GM offers). Shaker 500/1000 is really technologically behind. I plan on putting in an aftermarket unit ASAP.