Used 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Most Helpful|
Got to love the HP
By 2004sccobra

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I have enjoyed this vehicle. I usually drive it on nice days (trying to keep the miles low and in good shape) I have had a few problems with maintenace issues but other than that it has been a blast to drive. The Ford dealer where I take it has been very understanding. I blew up the tranny on the track and they still did the warranty work. Other than what they call "tip in clunk" I would not change a thing.

Favorite Features

Mystic chome paint! All of the accents inside to match the paint. The HP! I have a KN intake, Diablo Predator programer, under drive pulley and tenioner pulley and it puts down 450HP and a 11.6 QM. All this HP for an extra $500.

Suggested Improvements

With the IRS I found that you get a lot of clunking from it. Dealership says its normal and call it "tip in clunk" in my opinion another way to wait till it is out of warranty then charge you to fix the problem.

bang for your buck
By txbowhunter

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Interior quality/ergonomics somewhat lacking. Exterior workmanship is poor. body panels shake easily and start coming loose. Still needs work on IRS reliability and strength. suspension and drivetrain very clunky.

Favorite Features

POWER POWER POWER!! Fun car to drive. lots of power and potential.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension/brakes. Much better interior ergonomics and quality.

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!
By Logan McInnis

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I've had NOTHING but problems out of my 04 Cobra. It is the worst car that I've ever owned. The transmission was replaced before 400 miles. It has more squeaks and rattles than a baby's play pen. The motor has a tapp that Ford says is normal. It isn't! I haven't been able to get better than 19 mpg out of it yet regardless of driving style. Ford claims it should get 24. The dealerhip is unwilling and unable to fix the problems. I would get the car "lemon lawed" except most of the problems aren't considered "major" and wouldn't apply. I have regretted buying this car since I first turned the key which sticks! I'm get rid of it as I can! You've been warned!

Favorite Features

It has plenty of power. I love the front end of the car. It has potential to make MUCH more! I've seen these cars making over 600HP. Thats why I bought one, but the bulid quality is a joke! I bought it for the power, but nothing is worth the problems I've had with it.

Suggested Improvements

I urge you to take an extended test drive of this car before even condisering buying one. They are uncomfortable and you even have to raise your right shoulder off of the seat to put the car into 5th gear. The whole car is junk! Ford shoud be ashamed! I will NEVER buy another Ford!

04 Mystichrome
By Mystichrome

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Great car to drive. Unreal power. Miles ahead of the '98 Cobra I had before this one. K&N cold air kit, Bassani cat-back exhaust and a Predator computer tune really improved the already good power.

Favorite Features

Engine and the Mystichrome paint.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could use updating. More power.

Fun but quality lacking
By viking093

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Rear bumper and wheel housing weak. Electric windows squeak. Interior not well insulated - road & engine smell strong.

Favorite Features

Very Fast & Very Fun.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the build quality. Improve the handling. Keep increasing the horses....to out- perform Chevy.