Used 2004 Ford Mustang Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

More Bang For Your Buck!
By Zman4fun

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

VA 41 yo 6'3 240lb MWM. I bought my new torch red, 5spd Mustang in April for 13K (newsp ad). It looks great, is comfortable and handles well for the money. Wind out the trany and get to 60 in about 7 secs. The tough attitude of it's appearance/color seems to yield me the right of way with other drivers, who don't cut me off and let me merge in traffic. Gas mileage was Ok but got much better once I put the tires at 40 PSI, although a slightly rougher feeling ride. The only problems have been that the drivers seat belt was twisted at the anchor, the repeat button only works for MP3's, and the headrest doesn't adjust to my height. The dealer fixed the 1st problem, the others are standard.

Favorite Features

Appearance, Performance, Comfort, Gas Mileage (sports car), American Made.

Suggested Improvements

Higher Adjustment for Headrest, Repeat Button for CD's, Larger (hidden) Change Holder, Roof Mounted Sunglass Holder.

Aw, Not Bad!
By greentiger

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

well, i've had this vehicle for 3months now as a used vehicle 2003 with 30,000 miles. it's a beautiful car, has adequate power, very nice ride, but i'm now having to question the mechanical dependability since i've had to put this vehicle in the shop twice. first, the fuel pump had to be replaced after i noticed a "service engine soon" light. 2 weeks later, another "service engine soon" light. now, it's the computer system that has to be replaced. one more major repair, and the vehicle goes back. thank goodness, it's still under factory warranty!!

Favorite Features

cd player, sporty look, and the aerodynamics.

Suggested Improvements

a little more power, more dependability, and then it will be a great car!

Matter of the Heart
By Revfuzzy

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I was the proud owner of the first '65 Fastback Mustang in San Bernardino county in 1965. Said car was then modified for SCCA track racing. This 2003 Mustang coupe was purchased as a last vehicle type thing (70 years old) just for fun and nostalgia. It's a fun drive, fairly economical and we can get six suitcases/handbags in the truck. It's not going to win any races for me but it is responsive and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Door paneling needs to have tighter tolerances and suspension could use a little work. 15" wheels are a much better configuration for the street.

Used Car Alternative
By Hoopty

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 04 V6 5 speed Mustang as an alternative to a used car because the price was right. It is a very sharp car. Discounts and a new body style on the horizon made this a favorable deal. Wife thinks it's fun to drive too - so much so that she offered me her Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. in exchange. The novelty of the manula transmission only lasted a week or two and she wanted the Jeep back. for the money - the Mustang is a car you can be proud of as opposed to just another econobox. I think it will resale easier too.

Favorite Features

Timeless good looks- I know this is subjective but I really like the looks of this car and it's torch red paint. Also: Good handling. V6 power and fuel economy are good. A/C cools car very well.

Suggested Improvements

Larger wheels / wider tires, better material for seat upholstery. standard traction lock differential, Slightly lower ratio rear end gears. Ford should also finish the dual exhaust on this car- it is dual up to the rear muffler and then becomes a single. It could use some exhaust sound

WOW!
By leis1965

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

That's all I can say--WOW! This car is a dream come true for me.I read other reviews and was concerned about two things--a "rough" drive and the seats being comfortable. She's a smooth ride, and the seats are the more comfortable than any other car I've had or been in. This car has a lot of "get up and go" for a 6 cylinder, and I'm impressed at how fast it responds. My only concern is the cost to insure this car--I couldn't find a quote below $90 a month, and I have an excellent driving record. Otherwise, this car is a dream come true!

Favorite Features

The power!

Suggested Improvements

A bit more room in the backseat would be great. It's a little difficult to get in the back if you are taller.