Used 2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

What do you expect
By Big Mike

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I picked this car up used for a little over $20k. I've put 14,000 miles on it and loved every minute of it. This car puts a smile on my face every time I sit behind the wheel. It gets horrible gas mileage and that's O.K. After all, it is a 400 hp sports car. The accomodations are a little tight for a big guy like myself (6'4" and 280 lbs.) but that's ok too. It's worth being able to drive a car in this price range that will kick anything in it's path that is standard factory issue. After all, isn't that why we drive these cars? This is definitely the best alternative for those of us who can't afford $30-$35k for a Corvette or M3. You really can't go wrong with this car!

Favorite Features

Everything. Power to spare, handling, and that unmistakable supercharger whine!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more horsepower. You do get used to it after a while and it becomes no big deal!

Just plain happy
By Galen

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Have been the only owner of this car and it has given me the most pleasure of any vehicle I've owned. It's fun when the sheer power puts you back in your seat. Only take her out on weekends since my other car's a hybrid.

Favorite Features

Power, handling. It's just a sexy machine

Suggested Improvements

Interior could use an update but other than that It's almost perfect

Bring it On.
By The_Creeper

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

To start with Cobra is not a Mustang. My neighbor's 2002 Corvette learned that lesson on the open highway. I wish I would have had this car in my early 20's and single..come to think of it, I probably don't. A thrill everytime you turn the key, add my roll bar and Saleen cover and this one turns every head I pass. Good ride considering the type of car, great and fun to drive, Too much low end torque...it just bounces when you get on it. Have had a minor problem with gas guage not moving much until a half a tank, then disappearing in 50 miles. Dollar for dollar, I do not think anything touches it.

Favorite Features

The exhaust sound, 2nd gear, tight steering.

Suggested Improvements

Interior very plain and too plastic. Automatic headlights would be preferred to pull out switch. I hate the trunk button in the glove box.

An ICON of FUN!
By RevMatt

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Now that I have owned my Ford Mustang Mystichrome SVT Cobra convertible for two full years, I would like to share my experience with the vehicle. This has been the most reliable and fun vehicle I have ever owned. This is my sixth vehicle purchased brand new and my eighteenth total. This is also my seventh convertible. Having written that, I would like to say that the 2004 has been my favorite. I have had ONE problem with it. A bad cigarette lighter socket! The Cobra invites you to mash the gas pedal and delivers awesome power, speed and torque. With its IRS, it also begs to be ridden hard around the twisting and curving roads along the Pacific Coast Highway. Drop the top and GOOOO!

Favorite Features

Iconic Ford Mustang look and feel. Power to spare! The incredible Mystichrome paint, and the improved control thanks to the typically non-Mustang IRS. It has a very substantial "stock" sound system. Did I mention the horsepower? With a very few mods, it easily ascends beyond 500 rwhp!

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish! Placement and function of the stick for the manual tranny. It is too far forward and has too long of a throw. It could be of higher quality as well. (It likes to miss gears when pushed).

MystiChrome
By rex

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

Love this car, great looks, performance, and ride. Mileage Ok if you can stay out of the blower. Never been back to thedealer.

Favorite Features

Power and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage.