Used 2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

It is what it is
By Antman73

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I'v had my 04 Mustang GT a little less then a year now. I pretty much got it as a weekend car. I have only put about 3500 miles on it so far, so I can't really judge the build quality too well. The interior is pretty cheap, with large gaps in a few spots, and the seats are not that comfortable. But it is what it is. No one buys a Mustang thinking its a Cadilac. You know what kind of car your getting in to. Its a farily inexpensive, great looking, fast, pure American Muscle Car. Not too many cars can touch this performance for the price. I would not recomend this as your only car, but as a second car its amazing. Its all a moot point anyway, because the new one are out now.

Favorite Features

I know some people bash them, but the fake hood scoop and large rear wing make this car for me.

Suggested Improvements

Im sure the 05s will improve on everything that was missing from this one

1st Mustang for the family
By Fenderboss

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Moving to a Mustang has been an interesting experience. This is the first Mustang our family has owned and we find that there is a lot of coveting of the cars from everyone. I use it as a daily driver, and my commute is a joy covering 20 miles on some twisty country back roads. There is very little we don't enjoy about the car. That said, there are probably better interiors out there as well as fuel economy, but these shortcomings are more than compensated for when it comes to the overall experience of driving a proper American muscle car.

Favorite Features

Throaty V8, 5 speed, leather seats, visibility, and driving characteristics. There are very few things I enjoy more than rolling down the windows and opening up the throttle on a curvy back road. The exhaust note is fantastic and the response of the car is sublime.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could definitely use more attention in terms of build quality. I have yet to reach out to a Mustang owner who hasn't broken or had to replace at least once interior door handle due cheap plastic parts. A bit larger fuel tank would be nice to improve the overall range of the car.

Reliable car
By bull_gator

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Only a few problems have shown up in 107K miles. I have replaced the fuel pump, alternator, battery, tires, and suspension. Of those, only the fuel pump was unexpected. The rest are things you expect to replace.

Favorite Features

Price and placement of the car in the automotive world. It is peppy and fun to drive but not a car that cannot be handled by a newer driver. Leather seats are comfortable and wear well. You know what to expect out of these cars.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is typical mustang - as much plastic as they can get away with. Heated seats would be nice as would power seats for the passenger.

Favorite Car I've Owned
By automaniac9

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 104,000 miles on it, and wow, good car for the money. It might seem like thats high mileage, but I bought it with an extended warrenty. I bought it with many performance upgrades, and I have to say it helps this car with its performance and personality. I drove a stock 01 GT, and it felt a bit boring. The interior leaves something to be desired, but it's simple and has no extra fluff you don't need. All in all, it is a good all rounder that now a days is a good used alternantive to a brand new one.

Favorite Features

The power is great for a powertrain combo that essentially is from 1999. The live rear axle is ancient by engineering points, but it keeps the car fun to drive and is more durable than an independant set up. The Mach 460 sound system is a great system that provides good bass and treble. The gas mileage isn't too bad either; I get about 21 mpg between 65/35 highway/city driving, and with 3.90 rear gearing.

Suggested Improvements

This car is cramped inside for people in the back. You can't fit people in the back unless they're under 5'7", and even then, it's not what I'd call comfortable. The front seats are comfortable but they are set a little too high, which makes it feel like you're riding on the car instead of in it. The Tremec 3650 5-speed could be a little easier to shift; sometimes it doesn't go into gear the way you'd want it to.

Best of the Best
By Jason

2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is by far my favorite model of mustang. I've owned several years of the mustang almost every year from 84- 04 and this one takes the cake by far.

Favorite Features

Reliable strong manual transmission, hooks up fairly well, and with the addition of the .373 gears and a posi lock from ford this thing rips it up through out the range.

Suggested Improvements

use the mach 1 hood and scoop